Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

February 15, 2011 -

2K Games and Gearbox Software announced that the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever will use Valve's Steamworks as its DRM solution. This means that the game will be intimately tied to your Steam account. More from Gearbox Community manager Chris Faylor (via the company's official forum):

"2K Games and Gearbox Software today officially announced that the PC release of Duke Nukem Forever will incorporate Steamworks.

What does this mean for you?

It means that regardless of where or how you buy Duke Nukem Forever on PC, your purchase will be tied to your Steam account, ensuring that you'll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc. "

Later in the thread Faylor confirms that Steamworks will be the only DRM used with the game.

Duke Nukem Forever releases May 3 in the United States and on May 6 internationally.

Source: Blue's News

Comments

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

I was wondering if this would be on Steam but I guess that answers my question. VERY good move on Gearbox/2K Game's part. Steam DRM is one of the few schemes that is actually beneficial because of steamworks (TF2 style server browser, community access, etc) and how you can never truly lose your game (unless of course you break the TOS and get your steam account banned of course).

Unfortunately, it's not for everyone though so there will be some that complain how this is the only option (like they did for MW2 and Black Ops). Also, being tied to steam means that certain other digital distributors won't touch this game (e.g. Impulse, Direct2Drive, etc).

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

Glad to hear its steamworks and not a crappy DRM system like securom or the ubisoft DRM system.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

I remain skeptical. I haven't forgotten how Borderlands turned out.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

You didn't like Borderlands? It definitely has its issue and at a certain level it just becomes a samey grind, but there is still a lot of good gameplay there.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

No, I liked Borderlands. My problem is that it was really obviously a half-assed console port.

Between missing a bunch of stuff modern PC games just sort of have as a matter of course (you can toggle mouse smoothing, you can fiddle with vsync, you can turn off your microphone, all without having to fiddle with .ini files) and their absolutely baffling decision to use GameSpy for their multiplayer, anybody who played the game more than five minutes could have told you that Gearbox was shoveling a lot of bullshit when they claimed it was "PC first."

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

Brilliant!

I was a bit worried about getting the Balls of Steel Edition, but now, it's a guaranteed purchase from me.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

This makes me very happy I finally took the plunge and began using Steam.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

May 3rd is also my 31st birthday... what an amazing birthday present.

Oddly enough, 31 years is almost as long as people have been waiting for this game.

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

InfophileI know the ZE series was in the red in Japan, but international series boosted it to profitability. That may not mean it's more profitable in the west, but it does mean ZE3 wouldn't exist without the western market.07/04/2015 - 7:54am
Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am