Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

February 15, 2011 -

2K Games and Gearbox Software announced that the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever will use Valve's Steamworks as its DRM solution. This means that the game will be intimately tied to your Steam account. More from Gearbox Community manager Chris Faylor (via the company's official forum):

"2K Games and Gearbox Software today officially announced that the PC release of Duke Nukem Forever will incorporate Steamworks.

What does this mean for you?

It means that regardless of where or how you buy Duke Nukem Forever on PC, your purchase will be tied to your Steam account, ensuring that you'll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc. "

Later in the thread Faylor confirms that Steamworks will be the only DRM used with the game.

Duke Nukem Forever releases May 3 in the United States and on May 6 internationally.

Source: Blue's News

Comments

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

I was wondering if this would be on Steam but I guess that answers my question. VERY good move on Gearbox/2K Game's part. Steam DRM is one of the few schemes that is actually beneficial because of steamworks (TF2 style server browser, community access, etc) and how you can never truly lose your game (unless of course you break the TOS and get your steam account banned of course).

Unfortunately, it's not for everyone though so there will be some that complain how this is the only option (like they did for MW2 and Black Ops). Also, being tied to steam means that certain other digital distributors won't touch this game (e.g. Impulse, Direct2Drive, etc).

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

Glad to hear its steamworks and not a crappy DRM system like securom or the ubisoft DRM system.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

I remain skeptical. I haven't forgotten how Borderlands turned out.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

You didn't like Borderlands? It definitely has its issue and at a certain level it just becomes a samey grind, but there is still a lot of good gameplay there.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

No, I liked Borderlands. My problem is that it was really obviously a half-assed console port.

Between missing a bunch of stuff modern PC games just sort of have as a matter of course (you can toggle mouse smoothing, you can fiddle with vsync, you can turn off your microphone, all without having to fiddle with .ini files) and their absolutely baffling decision to use GameSpy for their multiplayer, anybody who played the game more than five minutes could have told you that Gearbox was shoveling a lot of bullshit when they claimed it was "PC first."

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

Brilliant!

I was a bit worried about getting the Balls of Steel Edition, but now, it's a guaranteed purchase from me.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

This makes me very happy I finally took the plunge and began using Steam.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to Use Steamworks

May 3rd is also my 31st birthday... what an amazing birthday present.

Oddly enough, 31 years is almost as long as people have been waiting for this game.

Poll