Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

February 24, 2011 -

From fake protesters to scaring the crap out of your mom, EA has cut loose with some, shall we say, odd marketing choices of late.  Oh sure, there’s no such thing as bad press and EA’s games certainly aren’t hurting for attention but irking the people who actually buy your games in addition to the people who routinely lambast them might not be the best move.

The fine folks of The Escapists’ Extra Credits show agree and go so far as to say that EA is holding the game industry and the medium as a whole back with its antics.  Give the video a gander and see if you agree.

Extra Credits: An Open Letter to EA Marketing

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Correspondent Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

"Ugh, just bit the bullet and sent it to everyone at EA I know...I'm going to pay for this next week - JP"

For anyone curious, they did send the video to EA.  That is a quote from their facebook page.  EC does have a pretty large voice, lets see how this turns out.

---------
There are only 10 types of people in this world, people who know binary and people who don't.

---------

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

How is this not EA's fault. They hired the marketing company and they approved the marketing plan that said company came up with. No one hires a marketing company and lets them have free range to do whatever they want.

Frankly when I saw the Dead Space 2 commerical I said out loud "Thanks EA for keeping the stereotype alive."

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

In EA's defense, the whole fake protest thing was not their idea. They hired a marketing company that did it. Now, EA could have kaiboshed it a lot quicker than they did, but it still was not entirely their fault.

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

Sadly, even if EA sees this, I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears.

Like the EC guys, I remember too that mission statement from way back in those early days.  But I chalk that up as being the product of youg idealism, much like the young Charles Foster Kane and his "Declaration of Principles."  And like Kane, as EA grew and eventually became the bloated entity that it is now (and which happens to all business unfortunately, no matter how good-intentioned they start out as being), those ideals and principles fell by the wayside in the face of the reality of how a capitialistic society works.  So as much as the EC guys and other would like those days to return, I sincerely doubt they ever will.

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

I agree, EA marketing these pass few years has beena joke and  shameful at the same time.

Poll

Whose next half decade of superhero films are you most looking forward to?:

Neo_DrKefkaAnyone remember that portrait from Resident Evil 1 in the gallery about a Middle Aged man full of worries? Anyone know the name of that portrait?10/31/2014 - 12:45am
MechaTama31Yeah, don't see myself getting a Vita or a PSTV...10/31/2014 - 12:04am
E. Zachary KnightWatch Ultron ruin all your Disney childhood memories in this How The Ultron Teaser Should Have Ended. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1sBRLRFtc10/30/2014 - 9:23pm
ZippyDSMleeConster:they finally made a working worth while PSP emulator.10/30/2014 - 8:10pm
quiknkoldMechatama31, you can get VC2 on the Vita and Vita TV. you have to buy it through PSN on PS3 and transfer it to vita and then playstation tv. I have it on my PS TV and it works10/30/2014 - 7:15pm
MechaTama31I loved Valkyria Chronicles. Still super cheesed off that the sequels were PSP-only... :/10/30/2014 - 6:57pm
ConsterI played Steamworld Dig on the 3DS, and it's pretty fun.10/30/2014 - 6:51pm
Matthew WilsonRECOMMENDED: OS: Windows 7 Processor: Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.8GHz (or equivalent) Memory: 3 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 (or equivalent) Hard Drive: 25 GB available space10/30/2014 - 5:49pm
Matthew Wilsonhere hare the system requirements. make of ithem what you will. MINIMUM: OS: Windows Vista/Windows 7 Processor: Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.0GHz (or equivalent) Memory: 2 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 (or equivalent) Hard Drive: 25 GB available spa10/30/2014 - 5:48pm
Andrew EisenStill a game I really want to play. Hope it's a solid port.10/30/2014 - 5:42pm
Matthew WilsonValkyria Chronicles pc port needs 25ggb. not bad exept this game came out in 08 on the ps3.10/30/2014 - 4:56pm
james_fudgeEZK: my sarcasm senses are tingling ;)10/30/2014 - 4:21pm
Andrew EisenIf it's any consolation, Xbox owners, Wii U owners don't get the game at all. And if we did, we'd probably never get the DLC.10/30/2014 - 4:19pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://kotaku.com/destinys-new-dlc-kinda-screws-over-xbox-players-1652294153 Sucks when the shoe's on the other foot, huh.10/30/2014 - 4:12pm
E. Zachary KnightSo a vocational school in Oklahoma is being evacuated because someone found a briefcase in the bathroom. Imagine that. A briefcase ina school. That's unpossible.10/30/2014 - 3:33pm
prh99Also, Nintendo wants to watch you sleep..for Science! (*in best Cave Johnson voice) http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/nintendo-wants-to-watch-you-sleep-for-science/10/30/2014 - 2:47pm
prh99I got it in a Humble Bundle, it's ok but the hype is definitely over blown. Also, only being able dig in the four cardinal directions made for some irksome digging..10/30/2014 - 2:38pm
E. Zachary KnightI enjoyed it. It was very short, but rewarding and fun.10/30/2014 - 2:35pm
Andrew EisenAgainst my better judgement (game looks boring to me), I purchased Steamworld Dig. It's highly praised and it was on sale. Hopefully I'll be wrong about it and think it's as awesome as everyone else.10/30/2014 - 2:09pm
quiknkoldhttp://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/femme-doms-of-videogames-bayonetta-doesnt-care-if.html10/30/2014 - 1:15pm