Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

February 24, 2011 -

From fake protesters to scaring the crap out of your mom, EA has cut loose with some, shall we say, odd marketing choices of late.  Oh sure, there’s no such thing as bad press and EA’s games certainly aren’t hurting for attention but irking the people who actually buy your games in addition to the people who routinely lambast them might not be the best move.

The fine folks of The Escapists’ Extra Credits show agree and go so far as to say that EA is holding the game industry and the medium as a whole back with its antics.  Give the video a gander and see if you agree.

Extra Credits: An Open Letter to EA Marketing

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Correspondent Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

"Ugh, just bit the bullet and sent it to everyone at EA I know...I'm going to pay for this next week - JP"

For anyone curious, they did send the video to EA.  That is a quote from their facebook page.  EC does have a pretty large voice, lets see how this turns out.

---------
There are only 10 types of people in this world, people who know binary and people who don't.

---------

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

How is this not EA's fault. They hired the marketing company and they approved the marketing plan that said company came up with. No one hires a marketing company and lets them have free range to do whatever they want.

Frankly when I saw the Dead Space 2 commerical I said out loud "Thanks EA for keeping the stereotype alive."

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

In EA's defense, the whole fake protest thing was not their idea. They hired a marketing company that did it. Now, EA could have kaiboshed it a lot quicker than they did, but it still was not entirely their fault.

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

Sadly, even if EA sees this, I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears.

Like the EC guys, I remember too that mission statement from way back in those early days.  But I chalk that up as being the product of youg idealism, much like the young Charles Foster Kane and his "Declaration of Principles."  And like Kane, as EA grew and eventually became the bloated entity that it is now (and which happens to all business unfortunately, no matter how good-intentioned they start out as being), those ideals and principles fell by the wayside in the face of the reality of how a capitialistic society works.  So as much as the EC guys and other would like those days to return, I sincerely doubt they ever will.

Re: Extra Credits Chastises EA's Marketing

I agree, EA marketing these pass few years has beena joke and  shameful at the same time.

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

prh99Nothing that hasn't been said.10/21/2014 - 6:52pm
Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am