SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

February 25, 2011 -

Sony Computer Entertainment America is hiring for a special team to deal with piracy, according to a recent job listing by the company. The post on SCEA’s recruitment site seeks a senior corporate counsel and senior paralegal to spearhead the development and implementation of an "anti-piracy program."

The positions would require a deep knowledge of trademark and copyright law, experience with online investigative practices, online databases, DMCA tracking products, and anti-piracy services and software. The goal of all this is to create a program with a "strong strategic online component" that would take input from SCEA's marketing, product development and business development departments.

As you might guess, this is to combat the proliferation of tools, programs and information related to hacking the PS3. The program would also deal with file-sharers passing around games such as the recently leaked PS3 title Killzone 3.

Source: Eurogamer

Comments

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

Sony has yet to learn that hacking != piracy, much less anything else relevant to the discussion.

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

I think it's more that they don't care that playing pirated games isn't the only thing you can do with a hacked console. This seems more like keeping the PS3 a closed system than keeping down piracy. Even if the majority of people used hacked PS3s only for running Linux, they would probably still be sending lawsuits to everyone they could.

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

Ya but you do that by spending money on network changes,updates and more moderators looking for cheaters not wasteing money trying to make whats still a right illegal.

---

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

So they're going to try to put out a grease fire with water? Great, that means it'll blow up in their face. I'm not surprised that Sony is reacting like this. Why can't they learn that laws and locks will never be effective? Any lock that can be opened can be broken into and copying is easy regardless of what laws you make. So why don't they just offer people something that is more attractive than infringement?

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

Meh more suits looking to walk all over the public...joy.....

---

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

Wait, do they mean a deep knowledge of actual trademark and copyright law, or a deep "knowledge" of the way they wish trademark and copyright law worked?

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

In other words they are looking for people who, given enough funding, can abuse the legal system and get away with it?  Fantastic....

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

About the only thing corporate lawyers are paid to do anymore is to find as many loopholes as possible.

Re: SCEA Putting Together Anti-Piracy Team

Please, the only people they will be further punishing are legitimate consumers.

Poll