Sony to Share Move Tech with Academia, Enthusiasts

March 3, 2011 -

Sony Computer Entertainment America announced at the Game Developers Conference this week that it plans to make the Move software development application available to academics, students, researchers, and enthusiasts. The app is called Move.Me, and it allows developers to create software that takes advantage of the PlayStation Move motion controller.

Coming to PlayStation Network this spring, Move.Me takes advantage of the PS Move's internal motion sensors and PS Eye camera tracking, allowing developers to export that data to Windows or Linux-based PCs (tablets and smartphones can also receive the data when connected to a PS3) and create applications. SCEA said during its announcement of the app that Move.Me could be used for a lot of different applications - from prototype rehabilitation applications for patients undergoing physical therapy, to creating new types of game applications.

"PlayStation Move's camera-plus-controller combination allows for the most precise and immersive gaming experiences," says SCEA Developer Support's senior engineer John McCutchan, senior engineer, SCEA Developer Support. "Now we're formally taking that advanced technology, which was almost ten years in the making, and offering it to innovators outside of our traditional game development community so they can create their own applications to impact the world in exciting new ways."

SCEA also said that it will support Move.Me with sample code, user documentation, and corporate material from SCE Research and Development. The app will not require a PS3 system SDK or licensing agreement. Additional information about Move.Me is available on the company's site.

Source: Serious Games Source

Comments

Re: Sony to Share Move Tech with Academia, Enthusiasts

This is probably a PR move to sidestep claims that they are hurting academic interests by sueing GeoHots and that Choco guy.

It is possible that they are jealous that MS and Nintendo have long won the battle for support in hackspace projects too... I doubt we'll see Sony changing that anytime.

Re: Sony to Share Move Tech with Academia, Enthusiasts

God -- at this rate, there's going to be decent Windows support for Move before the Wii remote.

(And no, I don't count GlovePIE as decent support.  It's a neat hack, but it's still a hack.)

james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am