Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

March 7, 2011 -

Last year Brenda Bailey Gershkovitch and Kirsten Forbes of Vancouver launched Silicon Sisters, a game company dedicated to creating games made by women for women. Soon they will release their first game, School 26. School 26 is a casual role-playing game that puts players in the shoes of a high school student who helps her peer with personal problems.

"The core game world has not moved aggressively into the female space," says Gershkovitch. "The casual and social gaming world has."

"We're not concentrating on building games for those gals because they've figured out what they want," Gershkovitch added – addressing those gamers that play hardcore games like Call of Duty. "We're building games for the rest of the girls out there - the girls who haven't yet broken into traditional gaming."

The duo were recently highlighted in this Toronto Star report. Since 40 percent of video game players in the United States and Canada are female, making games for women is a no-brainer.

School 26 is set for release sometime this spring on iOS devices. Forbes says it best with the following:

"Women are the most tenacious demographic. We’ve played games for years and years, despite the fact that no one was actually making them for us. We stuck with it."

Indeed.

Source: C&VG, image credit: Toronto Star

Comments

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

what women cant like the same games we men enjoy? women gamers do like those games thats why thet're gamers allready.

this is going to be about getting more women into gaming its going to be the casual market all over again only pink and with ponies.

I dont know what women are going to think but if I was a woman Id find this insulting.

(why do I feel like when ever I post on GP that I just end up ranting and complaining?)

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

I don't necessarily see a problem with reaching out to new markets, and trying to cater to tastes that aren't being satisfied.  I, for example, play mostly shooters and very few RPGs.  This doesn't make shooters better than RPGs, it just means I have a job and don't have the time to sink 100+ hours into a game.

I'm not optimistic about games targeted at women, though, because this usually means nothing more than "shrink it and pink it," and the result is usually a juvenille, clunky, and yes, insulting mess.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

In theory, I like the idea of creating games aimed at a female demographic hardcore or not, but this game sounds like it's gone too far into the partiez/babyz/pinkz direction.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Please, for the love of god, do not make it pink.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Well said.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Feh, I'm not playing that.  Too girly.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am