Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

March 7, 2011 -

Last year Brenda Bailey Gershkovitch and Kirsten Forbes of Vancouver launched Silicon Sisters, a game company dedicated to creating games made by women for women. Soon they will release their first game, School 26. School 26 is a casual role-playing game that puts players in the shoes of a high school student who helps her peer with personal problems.

"The core game world has not moved aggressively into the female space," says Gershkovitch. "The casual and social gaming world has."

"We're not concentrating on building games for those gals because they've figured out what they want," Gershkovitch added – addressing those gamers that play hardcore games like Call of Duty. "We're building games for the rest of the girls out there - the girls who haven't yet broken into traditional gaming."

The duo were recently highlighted in this Toronto Star report. Since 40 percent of video game players in the United States and Canada are female, making games for women is a no-brainer.

School 26 is set for release sometime this spring on iOS devices. Forbes says it best with the following:

"Women are the most tenacious demographic. We’ve played games for years and years, despite the fact that no one was actually making them for us. We stuck with it."

Indeed.

Source: C&VG, image credit: Toronto Star

Comments

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

what women cant like the same games we men enjoy? women gamers do like those games thats why thet're gamers allready.

this is going to be about getting more women into gaming its going to be the casual market all over again only pink and with ponies.

I dont know what women are going to think but if I was a woman Id find this insulting.

(why do I feel like when ever I post on GP that I just end up ranting and complaining?)

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

I don't necessarily see a problem with reaching out to new markets, and trying to cater to tastes that aren't being satisfied.  I, for example, play mostly shooters and very few RPGs.  This doesn't make shooters better than RPGs, it just means I have a job and don't have the time to sink 100+ hours into a game.

I'm not optimistic about games targeted at women, though, because this usually means nothing more than "shrink it and pink it," and the result is usually a juvenille, clunky, and yes, insulting mess.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

In theory, I like the idea of creating games aimed at a female demographic hardcore or not, but this game sounds like it's gone too far into the partiez/babyz/pinkz direction.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Please, for the love of god, do not make it pink.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Well said.

Re: Silicon Sisters: Games For Women, Made By Women

Feh, I'm not playing that.  Too girly.

Andrew Eisen

ZippyDSMleehttp://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/04/21/2015 - 1:58pm
ZippyDSMleeMatthew Wilson: Classic shell ^_~04/21/2015 - 1:56pm
Matthew Wilson@zipp I dont like the star menu taking up the whole dam screen, so just getting the start menu back will be worth it.04/21/2015 - 11:19am
ZippyDSMleeI got a extra HDD I will take win 10 for a spin. see if tis worthwhile heck if I do not have to move colums over in Skyrims creation kit its a keeper!04/21/2015 - 10:53am
ZippyDSMleeMatthew Wilson: Been on win 8.1 a few months the only thing I do not like is compatibility issues with older programs. 10 won't fix that sadly...04/21/2015 - 10:51am
E. Zachary KnightThe US Supreme Court has ruled that the 4th Amendment does offer US citizens some protections. This is a change of pace from other 4th Amendment rulings. http://reason.com/blog/2015/04/21/supreme-court-says-police-violated-4th-a04/21/2015 - 10:35am
E. Zachary KnightNot sure on that specific. But It is slightly annoying, but it can help to clairfy on occasion.04/21/2015 - 10:13am
IvresseCan I just ask out of curiousity why people repeat the title in their shout when it clearly states it in the URL?04/21/2015 - 9:07am
E. Zachary KnightI would say that is true. It drives me nuts when games are patched. The closer the patch is to launch, the worse it is.04/21/2015 - 9:06am
PHX Corphttp://www.npr.org/2015/04/19/400829880/when-video-games-are-patched-gamers-lose-trust-in-reviews When Video Games Are 'Patched,' Gamers Lose Trust In Reviews04/21/2015 - 9:03am
IvresseWell Totalbiscuit's port report video was positively glowing about it...04/21/2015 - 4:05am
MattsworknameHey, slightly off topic, but, anyone got a good sugestion for a flight stick for elite dangerous?04/21/2015 - 12:38am
Matthew Wilson@pm intreasting the gta5 port was already good from what I have read.04/20/2015 - 9:32pm
Papa Midnighthttp://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-pc-patch-reduces-cpu-usage/04/20/2015 - 9:00pm
PHX Corp@zippy I'm Probaly going to Warn my uncle who is a techie that it may come out at the end of july04/20/2015 - 8:45pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy I want windows 10 badly, but that is because I am stuck on 8.1 yuk. that being said the new dx12 looks very good, and the reported performance gain from it.04/20/2015 - 8:00pm
ZippyDSMleeMy body is readY! http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2015/04/20/amd-microsoft-to-launch-windows-10-at-the-end-of-july04/20/2015 - 7:54pm
PHX CorpI may have posted this before but a leaked email from Sony pictures has the MPAA written all over it http://www.extremetech.com/computing/203654-leaked-sony-emails-show-mpaas-opposition-to-fair-use-confirms-users-are-viewed-as-thieves04/20/2015 - 4:53pm
Mattsworknameyet another reason the DMCA should be dismantled and rewritten04/20/2015 - 4:41pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy that is worse than the ESA thing.04/20/2015 - 4:26pm