Steam Guard Beta Begins

March 7, 2011 -

Steam Guard, Valve’s new account security system announced last week at the Game Developers Conference, is in beta beginning today. The new account security system is available to anyone who is willing to take it for a test run. To take part in the beta, you will have to verify your email with steam, which allows you to tie your Steam account to your computer. If you want to use your Steam account on another computer, you'll have to get a verification code, which will be sent to your email address on file.

The sign-up for the Steam Guard beta is available via the beta participation section in your Steam account settings.

Any attempts to login for the first time on a computer elsewhere will need a verification code, which will be sent to your email address. To access the beta, select Steam Guard from the beta participation section in your Steam account settings.

Valve's Gabe Newell challenged the public to test the Steam Guard feature out by hacking his account. He gave out his username email and password and challenged everyone to try and get into his Steam account.

His email is gaben@valvesoftware.com, and his password is moolyftw, for those of you out there that want to give it a shot..

Source: PC Gamer

Posted in

Comments

Re: Steam Guard Beta Begins

Pretty gutsy challenge by gabe there, but stuff like this is why i do like him and valve.

You guys will always have my heart, despite you beating it to death every day i don't get EP3/HL3 news.

Re: Steam Guard Beta Begins

Damned teases is what they are.

Re: Steam Guard Beta Begins

I like the ideal behind Steam Guard but I don't want to have my steam account locked to only one pc without the need of a cerification code.

Re: Steam Guard Beta Begins

but if it lets you sign in on a second PC without having you need to reenter your password on the first PC when you sign back in on it, that's a plus

岩「if Phyllis Schlafly wants to undo Women's Rights, she should lead by example and get back in the kitchen」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Wonderkarp*Sippin on Long Island Iced Tea*05/22/2015 - 8:24pm