Long-Time Free Press CEO Leaving in Mid-April

March 8, 2011 -

Long-time Free Press CEO and president Josh Silver has left the organization dedicated to free speech to become CEO of the Democracy Fund, a new operating foundation that will "challenge the influence of corporate lobbyists over government policymaking." Silver is expected to part ways with Free Press in mid-April. He will be replaced by the organization’s current Managing Director Craig Aaron. Aaron had plenty of nice things to say about the soon-to-be-departing Silver:

"I'm deeply indebted to Josh Silver for his vision, for his leadership, and for being a friend and mentor to me for the past seven years," Aaron said. "And I'm honored and excited to be taking the reins of Free Press, an organization that I believe, pound-for-pound, is the most effective of its kind. We will continue to be honest and aggressive advocates in Washington and will redouble our efforts to build broad, diverse popular support for better media and the open Internet everywhere."

Silver co-founded Free Press in 2002 and has been the CEO since its creation. The group claims to have more than half-a-million active members, a staff of around 40, and offices in Washington and Northampton, Mass. It is the largest public interest organization devoted to better media and free speech. Its many activities include the FreePress.net website, the SavetheInternet.com and SavetheNews.org campaigns, and the National Conference for Media Reform – which takes place this year on April 8-10 in Boston.

You can find out more information about Silver's departure in this Politico report.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm