Anti-Piracy Group Helps Nab 'Major Pirate'

March 9, 2011 -

Anti-piracy group Antipiratbyrån claim to have helped police arrest a man it claims to be a "major player" in the "warez scene." The man, who is "around 30 years old," was arrested in the small Swedish city of Gävle by local police and agents from Sweden’s anti-piracy unit.

APB’s Henrik Pontén made the announcement yesterday, adding that his organization played a pivotal role in bringing this man in to custody. The police used information collected by the group to bring the man down, though what his name is remains a mystery.

"He is one of the elite pirates," Pontén said. "It is good that the police have a broad focus in their work and can act against the advanced and illegal sources of BitTorrent users."

"It was a major crackdown," said Paul Pintér, Coordinator at the Intellectual Property Crime Department at Stockholm police.

Frederick Ingblad from the Gävle Prosecutors Office said that the early allegations against the defendant were "strengthened" when authorities examined his seized computer property. What did they find on those computers? According to Pintér, thousands of movies:

"There were nearly 7000 films stored," Ingblad said. "In this case the offense involves so many movies that conviction could result in a prison sentence."

The man has denied the allegations made against him. Another unconfirmed rumor is that the man ran ATHF, which hosts an estimated 8,300 movies, TV shows and games. Access to the servers is exclusive; only 100 people have access to it.

Source: TorrentFreak

Comments

Re: Anti-Piracy Group Helps Nab 'Major Pirate'

We matter! WE MATTER!

Re: Anti-Piracy Group Helps Nab 'Major Pirate'

Yeah, uh, we caught a real bad guy. We found, uh, evidence of wrongdoing all over his place. Like 7000 of them.

Re: Anti-Piracy Group Helps Nab 'Major Pirate'

+1 my friend, +1

Re: Anti-Piracy Group Helps Nab 'Major Pirate'

and they just showed they dont understand how the internet works well done.

Re: Anti-Piracy Group Helps Nab 'Major Pirate'

Er....right...what a huge deal...... thats even less than a drop in a bucket.

---

Re: Anti-Piracy Group Helps Nab 'Major Pirate'

"Major player" in the "Warez scene"?!?!

Good grief, that's almost as clunky as the time a Fox presenter said "Truly Epic Lulz". They know the lingo, but they genuinely don't understand the meaning of it, do they?

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MaskedPixelanteIf by "distance themselves from Google Plus" you mean "forcing Google Plus integration in everything", then yes, they are distancing themselves from Google Plus.07/26/2014 - 12:20pm
MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm