Tokyo Gubernatorial Candidate Promises to Ban Games

Tokyo gubernatorial candidate Shigefumi Matsuzawa says that if he is elected he will ban violent video games because they create murderers. Matsuzawa banned a handful of games he found objectionable as the governor of Kanagawa, but as the governor of Tokyo he would get serious about banning violent games. Matsuzawa sees violent video games as a leading cause of youth violence.

I’m not sure what the murder rate is in Japan, or what the average age of a convicted murderers is, but I doubt there’s any scientific data to back up anything Matsuzawa says about video games. Below is a statement from Matsuzawa outlining how he feels on the subject:

Of all harmful information, the worst is that containing violence.

Games like ‘Grand Theft Auto III’ award points and allow advancement for murdering people, and there are cases of these games lowering inhibitions to killing and ultimately stimulating people to murder.

To stop this scourge spreading through the youth of Kanagawa, I reformed youth protection ordinances to ban the sale of these games.

If possible, I’d like to bring restrictions in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba and Saitama into line with each other. It’s not right for us to ban these games in Kanagawa only to have youths able to buy them in Tokyo.

According to a separate report on Sankaku Complex, Japan was hit with an 8.9 magnitude earthquake that caused extensive damage to northern areas in the country, with much of the damage occurring in the northern areas of Miyagi and Fukushima, and the coastal city of Sendai especially badly hit.

Politicians like Matsuzawa should probably worry about helping the citizens of Japan in the midst of this serious natural disaster, and stop wasting time worrying about political nonsense about video games.

Source: Sankaku Complex by way of Cheater87. Image source.

Chris Kimberley says:

A Z from CERO is not the same as an AO from the ESRB.  Yes, Z is their highest rating.  No, it does not mean that you can’t find it in retail stores.

Chris Kimberley

jedidethfreak says:

Probably not so much in Japan.  Per capita, they rely on nuclear power fore than pretty much every nuclear nation in the world, while knowing full well the destructive capacity of nuclear engergy.  As such, I don’t think this will effect Japan’s view of nuclear power very much.

Obama’s, on the other hand…

With the first link, the chain is forged.

Mr. Blond says:

Given that TV and movies, including those for kids, are infinitely more violent than in the US, and there is a significantly lower murder rate in Japan, this is the very definition of a double standard.

Thomas McKenna says:

Actually, it’s closer to a possible "Three Mile Island" than Chernobyl from what I’ve read.  Any damage it may cause will most likely pale in comparison with the tsunami.

BearDogg-X says:

Like I said, even though the motard said his BS before the earthqauke/tsunami/possible Chernobyl, he’s an idiot. And he’d be a bigger idiot to push this through over the recovery efforts if he wins(and that’s a big if).

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra. Hell will stay frozen over for quite a while since the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

BlitzFitness says:

This guy has a point.  I was so riled up by the combination of violent games and violent earthquakes that my first reaction was to buy a gun and shoot rounds into the ocean!  Except change that last part to: pack my bags and go over there with a Red Cross team.

On a side note, I am really surprised that there is this sort of attitude in Japan of all places considering how it always appeared to be a gaming Mecca to me.  Is anyone familiar with recent culture in Japan?  I ask because I’m curious if this guy is A) a nutjob on his own, B) part of a larger portion of the population than I realized, or C) perhaps having his opinion colored by that massacre (in Akihabara, I think)?

P.S. – It’s nice to see so many of the GP lifer’s I remember still kicking and commenting on this site.  I hope a wayward soul such as myself can be allowed back into the mix!

Kincyr says:

not quite, the quake happened after this so to those in Japan, he’s just another person that’s misinformed (especially since GTA3 is rated by CERO as ‘Z’ (essentially ESRB’s ‘AO’) there)

now if he continues to prioritize banning violent games over the relief efforts, then I agree completely.

岩「if Phyllis Schlafly wants to undo Women’s Rights, she should lead by example and get back in the kitchen」

Ashkihyena says:

You already lost when you mentioned points, good day sir.

Edit – And as the article mentioned, I’d be more worried about helping with the problems of the Earthquake and Tusami instead of worrying about fake video game violence.