Jack Thompson Threatens Valve over School Shooting Mod

We have to write a story about Jack Thompson today. The anti-video game firebrand and former Florida attorney fired off a letter to Valve Software threatening to do something (we’re not sure what he is threatening to do because he hasn’t indicated the consequences in his letter to Valve’s CEO) if the company doesn’t do something about the Half-Life 2 mod, "School Shooter: North American Tour 2012."

Before we get into what Valve can actually do about a mod it has nothing to do with, here is Thompson’s letter:

"Dear Mr. Newell:

You either know or should know that the more moral midgets who run Checkerboarded Studios have created a mod for your company’s Half-Life which they call School Shooter: North American Tour 2012. This mod is a full-blown Columbine massacre simulator which cannot function without your company’s assistance and acquiescence.

Attached herewith is a letter from FHE-ASAP that expresses their, my, and others’ concerns about this Columbine massacre mod. As you either know or should know, your Half-Life murder simulator was obsessively played, and thus became a training aid, for a) teenaged Robert Steinhauser, who authored at Erfurt, Germany, the worst school shooting massacre in European history, and b) Seung-Hi Cho, who authored at Virginia Tech University the worst school shooting massacre in world history. As to the latter, the sources of this information are the Washington Post and the New York Times. Now some sociopaths have made reprises of Erfurt and Virginia Tech far more likely.

Given the fact that your company has the technological ability to stop the operation of School Shooter, you must undertake steps immediately to do so.

Speaking for myself alone (for now), you have until five o’clock pm Eastern standard time this Friday, March 18, 2011, to shut down this public safety hazard I predicted years ago this school massacre game would arrive. I hate being right all the time.

GOVERN YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

Regards, Jack Thompson"

Okay.. We’re not going to bother with the claims Thompson continues to make about the cause of various school shootings around the globe (or that Half-Life – a game about fighting aliens in a secret government facility – is somehow a murder simulator), but we do wonder what legal obligation Valve Software has to censor any mod. I’m not a lawyer, but i’d guess they probably have no obligation or authority to do anything about it. Besides, it’s not like Valve is spotlighting the mod or serving it up via Steam..

Source: The Escapist by way of TheSmokey. Thanks a lot TheSmokey, thanks a lot. Ahem.

82 comments

1. SeanB says:

I can top that. I had the honor of being called ON MY HOME PHONE by the guy . . . and then he threatened to sue me.

2. Adamas Draconis says:

*Tumbleweed rolls by*

I guess that shows what happened.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

3. mthiel says:

According to Jack’s logic, if a news outlet showed/printed the picture, but then retracted it after discovering it was a fake: it doesn’t matter if it was a fake or not, they showed/printed it, so it must be true!

4. mthiel says:

Jack, please stop lying about Seung-Hi Cho playing Counter-Strike. You know the Washington Post removed that ancecdote from their article.

5. Erik says:

Valve can no more regulate mods than paper companies can stop people from drawing penises on their product.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

6. Father Time says:

No, we all heard of it before Thompson started to complain about it.

—————————————————-

7. Kincyr says:

that’s 0 for how many now?

岩「if Phyllis Schlafly wants to undo Women’s Rights, she should lead by example and get back in the kitchen」

8. Kincyr says:

I don’t know how John Bruce can think firing a gun is as easy as clicking a mouse, especially since in an interview he stated he owns a gun for home defense. You’d think he’d know the dangers of weapon kickback if one’s arms are not prepared.

Then again, I used to think the same thing… when I was five years old and all I had to go by was learned watching Batman starring Adam West.

9. Andrew Eisen says:

Being that Thompson never once followed through with any of his ultimatums, I’d say that’s a pretty safe bet.

Andrew Eisen

10. MonkeyPeaches says:

I bet Jack Thompson doesn’t carry through with his threat, yet again, Who’s with me?

11. Samster says:

I think he missed out the part where he demands one hundred billion dollars.

Oh wait, that’s megalomaniacal movie villains. My bad. So easy to get confused!

12. Ashkihyena says:

That would’ve required common sense though, and Mr. Thompson doesn’t have any of that.  Basically, he just played right into those guys hands and gave them the contrversy they wanted.

13. madman says:

Well Jack.  Long time, no see.  As Im a regular user of Valves services, I just had to respond.

"Dear Mr. Newell:

Actually assistance from Valve is not needed in distributing the mod .The tools to make the mod came with any game released using Valves Source engine.The only help Valve could’ve given them was to distribute the mod through the Steam store. Upon a recent check of 5 minutes ago, I found that the mod was not available through Steam.

As to the latter, the sources of this information are the Washington Post and the New York Times. .

*blows raspberry*

Yeah right. You told the media that Seung-Hi Cho played Counter Strike, even BEFORE he was identified.

The mod isnt distributed through Steam, nor does it violate Valves Terms of Service or any copyright laws. So technically speaking, Valve can’t do anything to stop it.

Why? Whats the threat, Jack? Gonna throw another lawsuit? Oh wait. You lost your licence to practice law! The only hazards you’ve encountered over your career, is the amount of tax payer money going to waste over your claims.

Just now, I remember what a prophetic state "A Modest Video Game Proposal" was.

GOVERN YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

Which is something you’ve never been capable of doing.

14. travelsize says:

He’s like the Charlie Sheen of lawyers. He’s lost his job and any credibility due to his own actions, but in his mind he’s a winner.

15. Kincyr says:

he hates being right-wing but the other parties won’t accept him

16. Kincyr says:

but Jack provided the seed photo, much like how VALVe provided Half-Life. and the doctored photo, which Jack had nothing to do with, is the parallel to the mod, which VALVe had nothing to do with.

and false evidence is just solid false testimony, which Jack doesn’t believe is a crime. besides, nowhere in the example does it say that I submitted the false evidence or even intended it to be used as such.

17. nightwng2000 says:

Actually, by John Bruce’s (lack of) logic, while you could be held accountable for fraud (in the use of false evidence), the makers, publishers, and any employees that were associated with the creation of Photoshop would be held responsible for the fact that their product was not somehow security protected from YOU using Photoshop to create the fake evidence in the first place.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

18. Mr.Tastix says:

He hates being right all the time?

I supposed he must’ve known that he would lose his license to practice law, then?

Jack Thompson is the most awesome troll I have ever known. Trust me, it’s better thinking he’s a troll than thinking humanity really is that shoddy.

— Randi Tastix

19. Kincyr says:

by Jack’s (lack of) logic, if I were to Photoshop a photo of Jack so the end result is a photo of Jack performing a felony, he could be taken to court, the photo could be used as "evidence" and Jack would be fully accountable, despite the fact that he had nothing to do with it or that it even took place to begin with.

20. nightwng2000 says:

Awwww… has he stopped using the "esq." reference?  Guess he’s caught on that he can face jail time if he implies that he has any legal power beyond that of just another average citizen.

Of course, one COULD go back, pull his letters that imply such where he DID use "esq." and demand his arrest.  After all, another individual, who had at one time been an attorney in another state, used the "esq." term in their own letters while in Florida, where they were not a member of the Bar, and the State Attorney General’s office has had them arrested because of said connection between "esq." and the implication that the individaul could legally practice law.

As to his claim of being right all the time: lies, deceit, misinformation, and mentally disturbed, sociopathic delusions do not a "right" make.

BTW, I’d like to see what a college organization, having to do with Subtance Abuse, (FHE-ASAP) supposedly had to say about such a game mod.  Were these individuals, dealing with CURRENT college students, not aware of the difference between an original commercially made game and a mod made by someone not affiliated with the company at all?

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

21. Left4Dead says:

"We have to write a story about Jack Thompson today."

No you didn’t.  🙂

– Left4Dead

Why are zombies always eating brains? I want to see zombies that eat toes for a living. Undead-related pun intended.

-- Left4Dead --

22. Kincyr says:

or the headcrabs?

23. ecco6t9 says:

My guess is that Jacky Boys’ Unemployment ran out and he doesn’t qualify for Welfare and Food Stamps.

24. Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

Lol, I remember when he threated me to sue me for slander because I said that he choosed to be crazy. I´m still waiting, Jackie.

25. Grif says:

Wow. That made me realized how much I almost missed JT. Without him, I was lost and alone, searching for someone else to mock. Justin Bieber only holds off the hunger for so long.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

26. HarmlessBunny says:

It is narcissistic personality disorder. Sadly only takes 6 out of 9 of the symptoms to be classified as being labelled to have the disorder. Jack wins on 9 out of 9. At last he is finally winning on something.

Why here are the signs of the disorder!!!

• An exaggerated sense of one’s own abilities and achievements.
      • A constant need for attention, affirmation and praise.
      • A belief that he or she is unique or "special" and should only associate with other people of the same status.
      • Persistent fantasies about attaining success and power.
      • Exploiting other people for personal gain.
      • A sense of entitlement and expectation of special treatment.
      • A preoccupation with power or success.
      • Feeling envious of others, or believing that others are envious of him or her.
      • A lack of empathy for others.

==============

James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

27. HarmlessBunny says:

Good on you! That is a mature way to respond 🙂

Jack on the other hand…

==============

James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

28. Chris Kimberley says:

I find myself agreeing with Jack on one point.  I don’t like the idea of this mod.  I think it’s in poor taste.

My reaction is to not play it.

===============

Chris Kimberley

29. Zerodash says:

Oh, and another:

"The testimony at the Final Hearing and the exhibits in evidence show, the vitriolic statements sent

by Mr. Thompson to all of these individuals and entities, regarding the allegations addressed herein

relating to Mr. Cardenas and Mr. Kellogg, were false, fabricated and, in fact, constituted outright lies."

30. Zerodash says:

Here’s one of my favorites:

"As to this count involving Tew Cardenas, the conduct and motivation

of Mr. Thompson as proven by the evidence surpasses the extreme, at the

very least. It is almost hard to imagine a lawyer comporting himself in this

wholly reckless manner, but the evidence shows beyond any doubt that the

Respondent in fact, did so. Mr. Thompson caused a series of chain reactions

of utterly inappropriate, offensive and debasing conduct that belies any sense

of moral decency and professionalism."

31. Shahab says:

The sad thing is that the letter reads like the ramblings of a crazy person. I kind of think Jack Thompson might really have sort of undiagnosed mental disorder, although I am not qualified to make such a diagnosis. His letter and behavior just seem too unusual.

32. Zerodash says:

This latest move by Jack prompted me to pull out the Final Report by the Referee summarizing his disbarrment proceedings.  It’s great reading, and every time I read it there is more and more stuff I notice- about how Jack is an even worse person than he gets credit for.

33. hellfire7885 says:

Hmm, well,. he recut his record at least, no mention of his book fox news or 60 minutes.

Not to mention absolutely none of us would have known about this source mod had he kept his mouth shut about it or at least didn’t have this need to let the worl know of his exploits.

He’s alos late to the part since Half-Life 2 has had two expansions os far with a third hopefully on the way.

Also, Thompson, if Half-Life 2 is in any way a simulator, where’s my fucking Gravity Gun!!?!?!?!?!?!?

34. Technogeek says:

I still have the email Jack Thompson sent me way back in 2004 where he told me to get a life.

I should buy a T-shirt commemorating it. "I Was Insulted by Jack Thompson Before It Was Cool".

35. TheSmokey says:

*sigh*

Yeah, I guess I could have skipped the story and not mentioned it in the Shoutbox, but darn it ….

I almost missed the guy 🙂

36. ezbiker555 says:

Oh lordy lordy lordy. While, we all this man nothing but crazy trouble (EZK, remeber that one time long ago?) and as always he’s goes about the wrong way, I have to say, the mod kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Still this is funny as hell to see that this nutjob of a former lawyer is still around.

37. MarcL says:

To be honest, religion can be very dangerous.  Every religion has its crazies (Westboro baptist for one) and those can be regarded as the exception to the rule for the most part.  But religion has historically played a part in many wars.  Crusades, inquisitions, the haulocaust (though this was more race based, there were still religious aspects) are all largescale religion based travesties that had a major following, the people committing these acts weren’t some small fringe group.

Religion can be a source of a lot of good things for people, it can provide moral code, social structure and more, but as a social structure it can also lead to discrimination and dehumanization of those not of the same religion.

So I think he is technically correct in saying that religion is more dangerous.  Not every group is going out to wage war on other people, but historically religion has caused more harm than video games. We aren’t taking the benefits into account, we are simply weighing the negative aspects of of the two concepts.

38. Ashkihyena says:

"Concern with what? It’s a fucking mod for a video game, not something as dangerous as say religion."

Other then this, I agree with everything you posted, everything has it’s crazies, religion included.

39. Uncharted NES says:

I apologize ahead of time, this is my first time doing this, and I’m sure it could been done by someone much more intelligently…

“Dear Mr. Newell:

Actually Jacky-boy, all they need is the game, mod kit, and a website. They don’t need Valve’s “assistance and acquiescence”.

As you either know or should know, your Half-Life murder simulator Okay I have to laugh at this line. Classic Jack is classic. I dare anyone to try saying Half-Life murder simulator 10 times fast without laughing, giggling or having their tongue twisted was obsessively played, and thus became a training aid, for a) teenaged Robert Steinhauser, who authored at Erfurt, Germany, the worst school shooting massacre in European history, and b) Seung-Hi Cho, who authored at Virginia Tech University the worst school shooting massacre in world history. But wasn’t it proven that Cho wasn’t playing it? And quit using the massacres for your own sick police state fantasy! As to the latter, the sources of this information are the Washington Post and the New York Times. Now some sociopaths have made reprises of Erfurt and Virginia Tech far more likely. No they haven’t, there isn’t a direct link to the FPS and these shootings. And even if there is, there are more serious reasons why it happens.

And what do you expect them to do Jacky-Boy censor any mods YOU find distasteful? The PTC tried that too, hey how’s working out for them?

Gee, didn’t you say that about Bully, and it was completely the opposite of what you said?

I hate being right all the time.

O_o I’m just speechless here. I mean do you really believe that or is your ego just trying to consume anything in it’s path?

GOVERN YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

You mean opposite of what you are suggesting?

Regards, Jack Thompson”

Okay, that was just… Painful and I’m glad it is over.

——-

GamePolitics, it’s time for a mobile version of the site, don’t you think?

40. Kincyr says:

unfortunately for Jack, if the platters and airtight seal were intact, data recovery still wouldn’t be a problem. all you’d really have to do is replace the circuit board that’s on the underside.

41. Cavalier says:

Nah. one of the funny things about libel in this country is that if you can prove it’s actually -true?-

Yeah. Not libel.

42. Thomas Riordan says:

Actually, it would be libel since you did so in writing. But Jack isn’t familar with those legal terms.

43. SeanB says:

No no no, you forgot to issue an ultimatim and a time frame. "Get a job and leave us alone, BY such and such a time, or else!"

44. Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

Dear Mr. Jack Thompson:

Please, go away and get a real job. No one cares what you have to say anymore. You are old news and we still laugh at you and your ridiculous crusade in which you lost your job and reputation (?).

Stop using the death of real people for personal gain. Stop making empty threats against people just for attention. That´s not very christian, you know?

I´m very sure that in your local Burger King they have a vacant for you.

Yours truly:

Me.

45. Father Time says:

That’s not a fair comparison.

The WBC go for higher and higher levels of jackass (protesting funerals)

while Jack Thompson goes for higher and higher levels of crazy/nonsense, although he’s not the kind of person who would protest a funeral.

—————————————————-

46. black manta says:

Jack’s really gone off the deep end now.  In that last paragraph, he sounds almost like some James Bond supervillain.  The only thing that was missing was a demand for $100 million dollars!

I think Jack is trying to be like Fred Phelps and the WBC at this point: being a real-life troll and hoping that they’ll get people angry enough to try and take a shot at them so they can be sued, while at the same time getting publicity for it.

47. Andrew Eisen says:

He’s always been like that.  That whole "you have 24 hours to meet my demands or else!" shtick isn’t anything new for him.

Andrew Eisen

48. HarmlessBunny says:

A declawed cat will still try and scratch the furniture 🙂

Yeah it is quite nostalgic. It brought a tear to my eye (due to laughter). I can’t believe how I missed his inane baseless acusations, and insane theories.

============== James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

49. Vake Xeacons says:

He’s back! I’ve missed him so much!

Good ol’ Jack! Pointing fingers and breaking fax machines!

50. HarmlessBunny says:

Also:

-US Marshalls

-Homosexuals

============== James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

51. Zerodash says:

LOL. Jack has them right where he wants them!  Just like:

– Take Two

– Rock Star

– Dennis McCauley

– The ECA

– The ESA

– Midway

– Microsoft

– Judge Dava Tunis

– The Florida Bar

– The AG of Utah

52. hellfire7885 says:

You forget that according to him the hard drive was ditched in a lake because the video game were on it.

53. E. Zachary Knight says:

Wait. I thought they played Counter Strike? Granted Counter Strike is based off the Half-Life source engine, but you get my point.

We also have John Bruce denying the Government investigation of the VT shooting which found no evidence of video game play by Cho.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

54. Neeneko says:

You mean he didn’t get reinstated like he assured everyone he was going to?  I am shocked!

55. Vake Xeacons says:

No, even when he was a lawyer, he was independent, and poking his nose into other people’s cases. Always where he didn’t belong, so, yeah, he was usually on his own. That’s why he got disbarred.

56. black manta says:

Yeah, but it just sounds crazier than usual.  Before when he was a lwayer, it usally carried the implied threat that he could back up what he said.  He doesn’t even have that anymore.  So now more than ever, my first reaction is, "You and what army?"

57. lordlundar says:

Looks like he hasn’t deleted his form letter, though he did at least remove his "I was on fox news blah blah blah…" part.

58. Ashkihyena says:

That is what we call a hypocrite.

Oh crap, now Mr. Thompson is going to sue me for slander, lol.

59. GoliathWon says:

Funny how a mod wasn’t a game when it came to witholding money from charity but suddenly it’s good enough when it’s time to desperately validate his "prediction". What a slimeball.

Anyway, who does he think he’s kidding? He actually thinks anyone involved in this doesn’t know who he is, what he does, and what his pattern of failure is. Pathetic.

60. Andrew Eisen says:

To be fair, he did allegedly send a copy of his letter to Checkboarded Studios, otherwise known as the four guys behind the School Shooter mod.

Andrew Eisen

61. Thomas Riordan says:

When it comes to being completely batshit insane no one does it quite like Jack. Many have tried but there is only one Jack Thompson.

Comments are closed.