Crytek Looking at DRM after Crysis 2 Leak

Crysis 2 Executive Producer Nathan Camarillo admitted in a recent GameShark interview that Crytek is looking at digital rights management solution for its PC titles. This closer look at a DRM solution was initiated by the leak of the PC game earlier this year to file-sharing sites around the world.

"I know there’s a lot of negative feelings toward DRM. But, I mean, what are we supposed to do? The actions of a few are causing maybe a mild inconvenience for others," Camarillo told GameShark.

"If I’m playing a game and it has DRM on it, do I notice? Not really. I just know that there’s something going on, but doesn’t really enhance (sic) my play experience. So, it’s something that we’ll have to look at in the future."

Expect Crysis 2 to use some sort of DRM solution when it is released this week. All we can hope for is that it isn’t obnoxious.

Source: GameShark by way of Industry Gamers

Roh02 says:

Crysis 2 leaked barely anyone pirates … howd crytek manage that? by asking people nicely not to pirate.

Crytek adds DRM to avoid piracy what will this do? it will make people pirate.

not alot of learning going on here.

Im getting the 360 version anyway to avoid DRM knew this was going to happen.

Wolvenmoon says: He really means ONLY a few. Most gamers I knew got POed over the leak because they wanted to support Crytek.

Reminds me of EA being happy about their sales on Crysis original and warhead way back when, then Crytek coming out and waving the finger of shame at pirates and then claiming low sales made them start development for consoles. But the game DID apparently sell well, according to EA. but was pirated often.

Crysis 1 also did use SecuROM – THAT SecuROM, not the more modern one, the device driver one that liked to eat DVD drives IIRC, and Crysis: Warhead used 5 activation SecuROM. Neither DRM was ever sunset.

Also reminds me of their reaction to the leak. "Shame on you pirates!" instead of being upset at someone internally leaking the game.

GrimCW says:

Ubi changed that, now you only need the initial login and can play all you want after that.

however it has to call home everytime you start the game.

MechaTama31 says:

"The actions of a few are causing maybe a mild inconvenience for others."

Uh…  What?  I assume the "few" are the pirates, and the "others" are paying customers.  If so, what kind of bullshit logic leads you to say that the pirates are the ones inconveniencing your customers?  You are inconveniencing your customers with DRM.  The pirates are not inconveniencing your customers, and you are not inconveniencing the pirates, because their version will have your DRM stripped out of it anyway.  It’s like if you were an exterminator and you went and demolished someone’s house to solve their termite problem.  It inconveniences the people, does nothing to hinder the termites, and IT IS ABSOLUTELY YOUR FAULT, not the termites’ fault.  You knew, or should have, that your actions would not do anything to solve the problem, and would only make things difficult for your customers.

Now, you think, or claim to think, that DRM is not noticeable, not a big deal, whatever.  Fine.  Millions of people disagree, and every game that has DRM is seen as an attack against them (because it is obviously doing nothing to pirates).  DRM simply drives those people into pirates’ arms.  What you need to do is come up with ways to reward legitimate purchasers, not treat them all like potential criminals.

Glasofruix says:

Yeah, try to play assassin’s creed 2 without a stable internet connection…

Mr.Tastix says:

I can’t actually play any of my saves or make new ones with my DLC for Dragon Age: Origins. This includes the "free" items, the Blood Dragon Armor and Witch Hunt.

Generally speaking this isn’t a problem as I am usually connected to the internet but it’s still a pain in the ass when you consider that only legit customers have this problem.

— Randi Tastix

GrimCW says:

question, actual DLC like the blood dragon armor and/or witch hunt, or just awakening?

the former DLC won’t work without a connection, the latter is an expansion and works without it.

unless you’ve a hacked game, thats the case in ME2 as well.

you can’t even play your saves that have that DLC if its not logged in.

lordlundar says:

Probably because of the ineffective screw up that was the Spore release.

And yeah, they’ve backed off since, while trying new stuff like the cerberus network for ME2.

prh99 says:

DRM has been successful at preventing this scenario when exactly? Hello, the call is coming from inside then house. If it leaked that early chances are good it’s either in house or a contractor.

MechaCrash says:

The leak has already happened. They know it has already happened. At this point, instituting any kind of DRM will do absolutely nothing to stop anything, it will only wind up punishing paying customers, because they’re the only ones who are going to have to deal with it.

evilmatt says:

Hmm.  I must have been imagining things when having moved house and been without an internet connection for three months, I happily continued playing Dragon Age with all my DLC, through Steam, without being online at all.  Sure, you have to log in to Steam and authenticate the games online the first time you play, but then you also need to download them from Steam’s servers (in most cases – yes I know there are games like Civ V that require Steam even with a boxed copy, which I agree is a little more obnoxious)

Mr.Tastix says:

"But, I mean, what are we supposed to do?"

Nothing. Because there’s nothing you can do.

DRM is an utterly worthless waste of time. All the companies are doing is wasting time and money on something that gets cracked less than 24 hours after a games release. So why bother implementing it at all? It doesn’t work, it’s never worked and it never will work. Period.

"If I’m playing a game and it has DRM on it, do I notice?"

Clearly he doesn’t use Steam, since that’s a very noticeable form of DRM. Or he hasn’t seen any of BioWare’s games.

The former requires you to be logged in to play the game and you must log in at least once in your current session before "Offline Mode" is active to you (kind of defeats the point, really). BioWare’s games require you to be logged in to use any content which must be activated via their social network (aka: every DLC and expansion pack requires you to be logged in).

These mean nothing for online games but are terrible for singleplayer games. What if someone has no internet connection? How are they supposed to play their games?

— Randi Tastix

DorthLous says:

Yeah, I’ll have to agree with the others here. This really seem to either be deceit or stupidity of his part and, well, you know what they say, don’t attribute to evil what can be attributed to stupidity…

Shahab says:

What a BS excuse. How is DRM going to help when your beta is getting leaked? I am just waiting for the next video game crash to knock some sense into these people.

GrimCW says:

a DRM i can see, but how would they add one post gold status and production?

to boot, a leak from the dev team wouldn’t be stopped by a new DRM. How about they instead lockdown their teams from leaking the game or secure their networks to prevent hacking.

added DRM doesn’t make sense in this one..

as for his "do i notice?" question, simple answer, depends.

if its UbiDRM style, yes, if its a simple disc check or one time activation/license, no.

but a solid lockdown of online activation required per load.. well, lets ask Ubi how thats going shall we?