Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

March 25, 2011 -

Gearbox Software's Randy Pitchford has been speaking to the media today to clarify the recently announced delay of Duke Nukem Forever. Speaking to Eurogamer, Pitchford said that trying to meet the May launch deadline would not have done justice to the game or those who have waited over a decade to play it. He also noted that this was not some slick PR trick - they intended to release the game in May when they announced the date.

"No trick - we believed May when we announced it," Pitchford said. "There is always uncertainty and we use experience and trends to help us be predictive. We are not perfect when it comes to predicting uncertain outcomes, but we are perfect at being committed to our goals and working relentlessly towards them. I think we may have been able to force May, but we think that would've introduced risks that would not have served gamers who have waited as long as we have to finally play Duke Nukem Forever."

"We are driven by fans who are as anxious for the game to finally be released as we are," he added. "The continued support of our fans does miracles for our morale and that drives quality and performance. It's for the fans that I am confident this slight schedule adjustment is the right thing to do."

Duke Nukem Forever is now scheduled for release on June 10 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Source: Eurogamer

Comments

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

10 years later...

-- Randi Tastix

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

Man, this is taking forever.

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

I can wait an extra month.

I'd rather get it later when it's great.

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

I do remember some news outlets who got their hands on the game early note there were a few technical issues with the game, saying that it was a great game otherwise.

As Thomas P. said- we've waited 12 years for this, we'll be fine without it for a little while longer. Duke will come when he's good and ready.

... no pun intended. ._.;

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

Meh, I wouldn't mind if this was PR. It was worth the humor of it all.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

We've been waiting 12 years, an extra month won't hurt anyone.

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

An extra month hurts me a lot.

I should've been able to pick it up in person, but two weeks from the original laucnh, I'm on the other side of the planet. BOO

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

I was thinking the same. We've waited over a decade. What's another month? Haha.

----
Papa Midnight

----
Papa Midnight

Re: Gearbox Explains Duke Nukem Forever Delay

It wouldn't be Duke if it wasn't delayed.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenYou mean focus on stopping the bad behavior of those who are doing it rather than condemning all the people that associate with them? Great. But I still don't know who Emma Clarkson is, what she said, why she was attacked or what "standard line" she's04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Matthew WilsonI think people are coming around to the idea that divide and conqueror might be a more effective method than scorched earth. scorched earth has been tried for 8 months with almost no progress, so its time try something new.04/24/2015 - 3:20pm
Andrew EisenCan you elaborate? I don't know who that is.04/24/2015 - 3:17pm
Matthew Wilsonas I understand just general difference of opinion. for example I have seen Emma Clarkson get attacked becouse she chooses to engage and debate, instead of just fallow the standard line.04/24/2015 - 3:13pm
Andrew Eisen'Cause if it's the latter, that kind of stuff should be shamed.04/24/2015 - 2:47pm
Andrew EisenAnd shaming women for being women or having an opinion or shaming specific women for exhibiting particularly repugnant attitudes or behaviors?04/24/2015 - 2:47pm
Andrew Eisen"Last few days" seems pretty specific. I honestly don't know what he's talking about. I hear that sentiment all the time but I've never actually seen an example of it.04/24/2015 - 2:46pm
Matthew Wilsonjust the general actions on both sides, but in particular those who are anti gg, but using the same tactics of harassment and shaming.04/24/2015 - 2:34pm