Nintendo Claims Record First-Day 3DS Sales

March 29, 2011 -

Nintendo claims that its first day sales of its new 3D hand-held - released Sunday - have exceeded expectations. Further, Nintendo says that the 3DS achieved the "highest ever" day-one US sales total of any Nintendo handheld released to date. While the company made this claim, it did not release actual numbers. Are they putting a brave face on 3DS first-day sales or did something amazing happen at retail?

We won't know until April 14, when first-week US sales figures will be released by NPD Group. Of course, since NPD does not share those numbers with the media anymore, we will have to rely on Nintendo to supply the final tally of those first day sales.

"Nintendo worked hard to get as much product as possible to retailers on day one to meet demand, and we will continue with these efforts moving forward," a Nintendo rep. told Eurogamer.

Earlier this month Nintendo claimed record-breaking pre-order numbers and feedback from retailers suggested that sales of the system here and in Europe were "brisk."

Source: Eurogamer

Poll

Poll: Is it censorship when a private retailer decides not to sell a particular video game?:

E. Zachary KnightFinished KungFury. Of the two short films I watched yesterday and today, I think I liked Predator: Dark Ages more. But Kung Fury has its cheesy charm and was quite enjoyable.05/29/2015 - 10:23am
IvresseTotalbiscuit just posted a wtf is... vid of Hatred. Pretty much expected: a mediocre shooter at best that will probaby bore gamers rather than turn them into mass-murdering psychos http://bit.ly/1KCwNE205/29/2015 - 10:15am
Wonderkarpor hell, even take the general concept and try to replicate it with new hallways and floors and make a full game out of it. I'd pay just to keep the original spooky hallway alone05/29/2015 - 9:35am
WonderkarpIf they were smart, they would just change the ending "Silent Hills" Teaser and keep the game out on PS4 as a Peace Offering. It stands on its own.05/29/2015 - 9:34am
MechaCrashNo mention of shoving PT into the memory hole, I see.05/29/2015 - 8:38am
WonderkarpSorry for caps. copy pasted the title05/29/2015 - 8:36am
Wonderkarphttp://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/silent-hills-publisher-konami-issues-apology-explains-mobile-first-future KONAMI ISSUES APOLOGY, EXPLAINS ‘MOBILE FIRST’ FUTURE05/29/2015 - 8:36am
PHX Corphttp://www.gamespot.com/articles/need-for-speed-will-require-an-online-connection/1100-6427672/ Need For Speed Will Require An Online Connection05/29/2015 - 7:54am
Wonderkarpjust be happy and encourage it.05/29/2015 - 7:37am
DocMelonheadSorry about that, but I'm surprise at what IP participate in this discussion.05/29/2015 - 7:25am
E. Zachary KnightIron, I did not Google Search because I figured the ESRB would publish such infor on their site, which is where I looked. http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp05/29/2015 - 7:22am
WonderkarpDocMelonHead, don't look a gift horse in the mouth05/29/2015 - 7:21am
E. Zachary KnightDoc, Uncalled for. Please keep things civil.05/29/2015 - 7:21am
MattsworknameThey were discussing the appeals process for Esrb ratings Doc.05/29/2015 - 7:21am
DocMelonheadDid IP post something that isn't related to White Supremecy?05/29/2015 - 7:13am
IronPatriotBut hey, you're welcome.05/29/2015 - 5:23am
Andrew EisenEZK did say he didn't find any info on the appeals process. And if all he did was look at the ratings process part of the ESRB's website, he wouldn't have. That's where I would have looked too. But hey, thanks for being thorough and finding the info.05/29/2015 - 5:01am
Andrew EisenDude, again. I am NOT saying there is no appeals process. THERE OBVIOUSLY IS. All I am saying is that the appeals process is not described in the ratings process part of the ESRB's website.05/29/2015 - 4:59am
IronPatriotI googled appeal esrb.org and it is the first and third hits. Second is esrb talking about appeals for web publishers. Gamefaqs is fourth.05/29/2015 - 4:01am
IronPatriotZachary said he did not find any information about a formal appeals process. I did a simple search and found two places on the esrb site with the info. Just sayin.05/29/2015 - 3:57am