Oregon Man Collared By Console He Stole

April 1, 2011 -

On Christmas Eve 2010 a man in Ashland, Oregon came home to find his home ransacked and robbed. Among the items stolen was a flashy new video game console. While we do not know what kind of console was stolen we do know that police can track it down if it connects to the internet and there is some way to track it based on serial numbers.

The Southern Oregon High-Tech Crimes Task Force, which deals with cyber crimes and crimes involving electronic devices, contacted the manufacturer. With their help the police were able to track the console down because someone went online with it.

Central Point police Lt. Josh Moulin said that, with the manufacturer's help, they were able to trace the stolen console to a home in Medford. The resident living there told police that he purchased the console from 24-year-old Nicholas Gomez. After interviewing Gomez, police arrested the man for first-and-second-degree theft. Police could not find enough evidence to charge Gomez with the burglary.

Gomez should consider himself lucky and should make note of the fact that you can't steal a console then sell it using your real name because police can now track these current generation console systems down with little effort.

Source: Ashland Daily Tidings by way of The Escapist

Comments

Re: Oregon Man Collared By Console He Stole

Sorry guys the presumption of innocence has been sold to the lowest bidder along with the rest of our last bastion of freedoms.After all its easier for government and the courts to function if the public has limited rights and freedoms.

---

Re: Oregon Man Collared By Console He Stole

Oy! They couldn't find enough evidence to charge him with burglary AND have not even yet convicted him of the charges of theft. How about that presumption of innocence, heh GamePolitics? At least TRY to act as if it was possible for the law to make mistakes?

Re: Oregon Man Collared By Console He Stole

I would like some allegedly with my article.

Re: Oregon Man Collared By Console He Stole

"ALLEGEDLY Gomez COULD have gotten it from the real thief..."

Not enough evidence to convict. I'm telling ya, the biggest lawbreakers are the ones that write 'em!

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm