Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

April 6, 2011 -

According to an Electronista report, Microsoft will announce its plans to port Silverlight to Xbox 360 at the MIX11 conference next week. According to leaked information, the feature has supposedly been in development for several months and could bring a higher level of integration between the Xbox 360 and Windows Phone. More importantly, a tipster speaking to WinRumors suggested that Microsoft might bring an app store for the Xbox 360 that would let developers easily port WP7 apps over to the larger screen.

Windows 8 may also have its own app store "out of the box" and would emulate the Mac App Store. Microsoft has not confirmed this story.

Source: Electronista

Posted in

Comments

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

My brain took a wrong turn with the word emulate.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

I think I am going to get tired of the 'app store' thing real fast....

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

Agreed. There's already an app for pretty much everything, the last thing we need is an app store for everything.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

Silverlight was ported to the 360 quite a while ago. Those videos, minigames and menus in the Dashboard? Those are all Silverlight based. It was even announced some time back on the Major Nelson blog as I recall.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

While some aspects of the 360 currently run under Silverlight, I believe they are specifically referring to the ability for the consumer to run silverlight apps in the same way they currently play games on the console. That does not currently exist.

E. Zachary Knight