Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

April 6, 2011 -

According to an Electronista report, Microsoft will announce its plans to port Silverlight to Xbox 360 at the MIX11 conference next week. According to leaked information, the feature has supposedly been in development for several months and could bring a higher level of integration between the Xbox 360 and Windows Phone. More importantly, a tipster speaking to WinRumors suggested that Microsoft might bring an app store for the Xbox 360 that would let developers easily port WP7 apps over to the larger screen.

Windows 8 may also have its own app store "out of the box" and would emulate the Mac App Store. Microsoft has not confirmed this story.

Source: Electronista

Posted in

Comments

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

My brain took a wrong turn with the word emulate.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

I think I am going to get tired of the 'app store' thing real fast....

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

Agreed. There's already an app for pretty much everything, the last thing we need is an app store for everything.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

Silverlight was ported to the 360 quite a while ago. Those videos, minigames and menus in the Dashboard? Those are all Silverlight based. It was even announced some time back on the Major Nelson blog as I recall.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

While some aspects of the 360 currently run under Silverlight, I believe they are specifically referring to the ability for the consumer to run silverlight apps in the same way they currently play games on the console. That does not currently exist.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Craig R.Ok, my internal debate was short-lived. If Win10 is still a year out, I'm not waiting that long for an SSD, so on Win7 I will remain.09/30/2014 - 7:52pm
Matthew Wilsonits called windows 10, and I am happy to get the start menu back.09/30/2014 - 7:18pm
Jessy HartIs this stuff about Windows 10 legit? Is it actually called Windows 10 or is it just some stupid joke?09/30/2014 - 6:57pm
ZippyDSMleeSo I been trying to play Bioshock Infinite I got all the DLC,ect but do not want the extras to make your charatcer over powered from the start.....they force you to take them which is quite annoying......09/30/2014 - 6:45pm
Craig R.I need to upgrade to an SSD, still seriously debating moving to Win8.1 from 7 at the same time09/30/2014 - 6:07pm
Craig R.Win10 is probably Win8.1 with more cleanup and the Start button back.09/30/2014 - 6:06pm
Sora-ChanAhh, it's just weird seeing someone's post all of a sudden have replies from days prior before it was posted due to that.09/30/2014 - 5:49pm
MechaTama31sora: I broke the ordering intentionally, as AE's and my conversation had squeezed the text boxes down to be quite slim. I replied to an earlier post of his instead of the one I was actually replying to.09/30/2014 - 5:46pm
MechaTama31So, 9 would have been the good one, but they are skipping it to do two crap ones in a row?09/30/2014 - 5:41pm
Sora-ChanSo, judging from the poll post for #gamergate, it looks like too many thread replies breaks the ordering of posts, as seen with the recent post from Infophile.09/30/2014 - 5:31pm
Andrew EisenOr no! It wasn't Y3K compliant. Microsoft thought it best to super future proof its OS and skipped straight to 10 which is Y3K compliant!09/30/2014 - 5:01pm
Andrew EisenJust tell them it wasn't Y2K compliant.09/30/2014 - 5:00pm
Craig R.Looking forward to having to explain to coworkers down the road what ever happened to 9 *sigh*09/30/2014 - 4:57pm
Craig R.2k was crap. XP was solid, 7 is good, 8.1 is actually really good once you make it look like 7 :)09/30/2014 - 4:52pm
Sora-Chan@MP As someone who has used each version of windows since 3.1... I prefer Vista over 7 for various reasons. The only thing I give 7 over Vista is preformance. They really screwed up a bunch of things when making 7. Also, XP was a pain. 2k was better.09/30/2014 - 4:13pm
Jessy Hart@E. Zachary Knight Is that show called Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures?09/30/2014 - 3:34pm
IanCWin 8 isn't bad, it just can't decide whether to be a desktop OS or a tablet OS.09/30/2014 - 2:40pm
IanCI think its a way of getting round giving it free to Win 8 users...09/30/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelanteWindows alternates between bad and good versions. XP was good, Vista sucked, 7 was good, 8 sucked, therefore 10 will suck, QED.09/30/2014 - 2:18pm
E. Zachary KnightPerhaps they are calling it "10" because on a scale of 1-10 of how awesome it is, it is a clear 10.09/30/2014 - 2:06pm