Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

April 6, 2011 -

According to an Electronista report, Microsoft will announce its plans to port Silverlight to Xbox 360 at the MIX11 conference next week. According to leaked information, the feature has supposedly been in development for several months and could bring a higher level of integration between the Xbox 360 and Windows Phone. More importantly, a tipster speaking to WinRumors suggested that Microsoft might bring an app store for the Xbox 360 that would let developers easily port WP7 apps over to the larger screen.

Windows 8 may also have its own app store "out of the box" and would emulate the Mac App Store. Microsoft has not confirmed this story.

Source: Electronista

Posted in

Comments

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

My brain took a wrong turn with the word emulate.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

I think I am going to get tired of the 'app store' thing real fast....

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

Agreed. There's already an app for pretty much everything, the last thing we need is an app store for everything.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

Silverlight was ported to the 360 quite a while ago. Those videos, minigames and menus in the Dashboard? Those are all Silverlight based. It was even announced some time back on the Major Nelson blog as I recall.

Re: Rumor: Microsoft Porting Silverlight to Xbox 360

While some aspects of the 360 currently run under Silverlight, I believe they are specifically referring to the ability for the consumer to run silverlight apps in the same way they currently play games on the console. That does not currently exist.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am
MattsworknameYou know andrew, those are actualy rock solid ideas, I woudl like those features a bunch ,especially with games that a cut scene heavly. looking at you kojima!07/03/2015 - 1:18am