2010's Top Selling Peripheral in Japan: Torne

April 11, 2011 -

Sony’s PlayStation 3 motion controller, Move, is outselling its Xbox 360 rival, Kinect, in Japan. More surprisingly, a peripheral that brings entertainment to everyday consumers sells more than both the Kinect and Move. Andriasang reports that by the end of 2010 Microsoft’s Kinect had sold 90,000 units in Japan, while Move had 170,000 in sales. Both were outsold by Torne, a DVR attachment device for PlayStation 3.

The device sold 784,000 units was named the year’s best-selling peripheral by Media Create. Naturally, Move’s success outside of Japan is not as grand. Last month Kinect was named the fastest-selling electronics device in history after 8 million units were sold in its first 60 days. That total has since passed the 10 millionth units sold mark. While some may balk at comparing either Kinect or Move to a device such as the Torne, it is a device that probably helped sell PS3's in Japan. That's something.

Source: Andriasang by way of Edge

Comments

Re: 2010's Top Selling Peripheral in Japan: Torne

Is this really a big surprise? If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 has a much higher install base in Japan than the 360.

Re: 2010's Top Selling Peripheral in Japan: Torne

i'd like the PSMove more if it didn't lose sync worse than that old sega genesis light gun that used an IR sensor to track it.

no joke i can't play virtually a thing without that sucker comming out of sync after one or two faster movements, let alone lowering my arms for a moment during load screens (and being sure i don't remove the wand from the camera's view ever)

i'll give the kinect that much, its hard to lose sync with, now if it just had some decent games besides dance and excercise i'd have more use for it :p

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

InfophileAged well plot-wise, I mean. The animation is showing its age, but if you don't mind that, the plot holds up quite well03/27/2015 - 6:52am
InfophileRobotech may be 30 years old, but it's actually aged pretty well. Plus, one of the three Japanese franchises that went into making it, Macross, is coming out with a new series soon. So it's far from forgotten or out-of-date03/27/2015 - 6:50am
ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm