We Love Japan Concert Raises £6K for Japanese Relief Efforts

April 11, 2011 -

On April 2 hmvlive, Manga Entertainment and Japan Underground presented a charity concert at the Relentless Garage in Highbury (England) to raise money for the Japan Society Tohoku Earthquake Relief Fund, a charity which will help to rebuild schools and communities in the areas devastated by the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan on March 11.

The evening featured comedian Iain Lee (Absolute Radio, The 11 O’clock Show), along with music legend Adam Ant, Japanese popstars Suga Shikao and Rei fu as well as Capcom, Tecmo KOEI and Namco Bandai Games. The target was £5,000. The end tally raised for relief was £5,977.86 (roughly $9,797.70 USD). Helping reach this figure were several of the UK’s most promising Japanese musicians who are either Japanese (No Cars, Kuaigora), have members from Japan or with Japanese heritage (iMMa, March of the Playwrite), or just have a fascination with the country (Akira the Don).

Besides raising money from ticket sales, some of the money was raised through donations from Manga Entertainment, MCM Expo and The Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, as well as through raffles and donated merchandise that was sold throughout the event. Additionally, nearly £800 of the final figure was gathered by Saara Takase, a student from Japan who took to the streets of Brighton with her acoustic guitar and a sign that simply read "Play for Japan."

Takase offered the following comments on the event and the extracurricular activities:

"After the tragedy happened, I used to just watch the news all day, and I felt so useless… I wanted to help my country. I wanted to send some money. So I decided to start busking for Japan. I had never busked in my life, I was too afraid of performing in front of people but I had to have courage, for Japan. And now, it’s made me realise how much I love Japan, how supportive people are, and how we are all one."

The event received sponsorship from The Relentless Garage, hmvlive, MOMA, Manga Entertainment LTD, Japan Underground, The MCM Expo, The Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, NME and NME.com (IPC Media), Anime News Network, NEO Magazine (Uncooked Media), Japan Society, Play for Japan, The Associates, The Noise Cartel, Cosplay Portrait and Onboard Karaoke.

You can learn more about the event's success by visiting japanunderground.wordpress.com.

Comments

Re: We Love Japan Concert Raises £6K for Japanese Relief ...

Anime Detour hosted a charity auction that same weekend for the American Red Cross Japan Relief Fund. (I'm on staff) We managed to raise almost $37,000 USD over the course of the weekend.  For a one night shindig, these guys did a great job.  Detour had a weekend to work with, and these guys almost matched us dollar for dollar.

It's great to see people coming together over this and giving so willingly.

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm
Goth_SkunkBut such a hangout *could* be a neat idea. It could be used, for example, for all us GPers to get together and watch the new FemFreq video, and then discuss amongst ourselves in real time what our thoughts are.08/31/2015 - 8:38pm