U.S. Video Game Sales Slip 4 Percent in March

April 15, 2011 -

North American retail Video game sales slipped 4 percent in the month of March as consumers turned to digital downloads and online games for their entertainment needs - according to data released by NPD Group. Sales of computer and video games fell 16 percent to $735.4 million, compared to $875.7 million in the same period a year ago.

Nintendo's 3DS hand-held drove hardware sales up 12 percent to $494.5 million in March, but it wasn't enough to make up for the steep slide in software sales (the average gamer bought just one game with the $250 system). When combined with sales of game accessories - Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's Move - overall game industry sales were $1.53 billion last month, down 4 percent from $1.58 billion in March 2010.

Source: Home Media Magazine

Comments

Re: U.S. Video Game Sales Slip 4 Percent in March

Uh oh. Looks like Bobby Kotick may have to settle for only buying 3 yachts this year.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Re: U.S. Video Game Sales Slip 4 Percent in March

"The message coming out of March is that consumers seem to be shifting away from retail and to digital distribution channels."

With gas prices where they are, that's not too surprising.

Andrew Eisen