Study: Low-Level Electricity Helps Improve Game Performance

Here’s an odd study to consider: using a 9 volt battery can make your skills at gaming better – as long as you can stand some small level voltage running through your head. According to an odd DARPA-funded study, running low-level electricity through the scalp might help the mind focus on tasks such as video games. The research used low-level electricity in concert with a military training game to test the theory. Researchers found that test subjects playing a military training game had improved performance when they were affected by transcranial direct-current stimulation (tCDS).

Sponges connected to the temples of subjects generated an electrical current were attached to their temples. Then the test subjects played DARWARS Ambush!, a simulation game designed to help train soldiers for serving in Iraq. The simulation lets players scan for dangers on a landscape, such as improvised explosive devices or enemy gunmen.

Neuroscientists at the University of New Mexico conducted the tests. They subjected participants to 2 milliamps of electricity through the scalps of half the group and 1/20 that amount through the other half. The group that received two milliamps showed twice as much improvement after a short amount of time compared to other the group.

Obviously you do not want to try this sort of thing at home unless you are a complete moron..

Source: The Escapist

linkreincarnate says:

Why is it that transhumanists are regarded as stupid?  They often advance the field of science or save their own life.

• On February 15, 1921, Dr. Evan O’Neill Kane carried out his own appendectomy in an attempt to prove the efficacy of local anaesthesia for such operations. He is believed to have been the first surgeon to have done so.[4] In 1932, he performed an even more risky self-operation of repairing his inguinal hernia at the age of 70.[5]
    • On April 30, 1961, Dr. Leonid Rogozov removed his own infected appendix at the Soviet Novolazarevskaja Research Station in Antarctica, as he was the only physician on staff. The operation lasted one hour and 45 minutes.[6][7] Rogozov later reported on the surgery in the Information Bulletin of the Soviet Antarctic Expedition.[8]
    • In 2000, a Mexican woman, Inés Ramírez, was forced to resort to self-surgery – a Caesarean section – because of lack of medical assistance during a difficult labour: "She took three small glasses of hard liquor and, using a kitchen knife, sliced her abdomen in 3 attempts … cut the uterus itself longitudinally, and delivered a male infant. Both mother and child reportedly survived and are now well."

After failed attempts to infect piglets in 1984, Marshall drank a Petri dish containing cultured H. pylori, expecting to develop, perhaps years later, an ulcer. He was surprised when, only five days later, he developed gastritis with achlorhydria, i.e., his vomitus had no acid content. Symptoms included vague stomach discomfort, nausea, vomiting and halitosis (due to the achlorhydia, there was no acid to kill bacteria in the stomach, and their waste products manifested as bad breath).

Is modifying your body dangerous? YES very but the risks CAN be mitigated with enough education and preperation.  When your life is on the line you tend not to to cut corners.  These people are pioneers not morons.

locopuyo says:

Probably because getting shocked wakes you up.  My place can be dry at times.  Sometimes when i get home from work I’m a bit drowsy, then I get a shock turning on the light switch and I become quite alert.

Pwnage of Empires Xbox 360 Indie RTS

greevar says:

I actually use similar technology. It’s called an alpha-stim. It sends a low voltage current through my ear lobes in a specific pattern that increases alpha waves in the brain. It’s been helpful for my ADHD and anxiety. It’s perfectly harmleslal;sd;nasd;lksdaasgl;o[ie[osadvn

Roh02 says:

pretty sure those types of machines simply vibrated and didnt actually use electricity hence no pace maker warnings.

any chance this just makes the "players" pay attention

hellfire7885 says:

Here in the USA there’s an arcade called Marvin’s Marvelous Mechanical Museum. It’s owned by a collector and he has some exotic machines.

I say exotic because he has a custome bill one called CHallenge Kill-R-watt. You put in your money, and this mad doctor guy behind a steel cage taunts you. you grab two metallic spheres and they zap you with jolts of static electricty.

If you’re ever in Michigan, you honestly owe it to yourself to go see this arcade.

Austin from Oregon says:

I’ve played one of those before. Funny I don’t remember any warnings for pacemakers and such on it either.

It would be pretty hilarious if that was incorporated into say, the next sixaxis controller. The applications in game are intriguing.

E. Zachary Knight says:

I remember seeing an Adams Family game in an arcade once. You put in your 50p (this is in England) and grab hold of the two metal rods. You have now completed the circuit. The goal of the game is to see how long you can hold on and to make the lightbulb in Uncle Fester’s mouth light up.

Can we do that for console games? That would be an innovative input method.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

MartyB says:

I see…  in theory, the bigger the electric current the bigger performance increase will be!!

EUREKA!!! I’ll attach a car battery to my head using wet sponges and play an hour of CoD Black Ops.

I will let you know the results shortly.

Zerodash says:

Interesting.  But the day I decide I need to run an electric current through my body to increase my Street Fighter win streak or my APM in Starcraft is the day I need to take life less seriously.