Zynga Shuts Down MySpace Mafia Wars

April 19, 2011 -

Zynga has shut down the MySpace version of its organized crime social strategy game, Mafia Wars. The company has also asked MySpace Mafia Wars users to go to Mafiawars.com. In a post on the game's official MySpace page, Zynga confirmed that Mafia Wars was discontinued on April 18 and that the game would continue - with new content - on mafiawars.com. Zynga seems to be done with MySpace at this point; last month Zynga discontinued another MySpace game, RPG Street Racing.

You can read the message on MySpace if you have an account. Several major social media developers have also pulled games from MySpace in recent weeks; Playdom shut down text-based RPGs Overdrive and Bloodlines, and RockYou abandoned the site entirely, pulling Truth Box, RockYou Pets, Superhug! and Speed Racing from the service. MySpace is not in good shape, as users continue to shift over to Facebook and Newscorp. continues to cut staff. The writing is on the wall at this point.

Source: MySpace by way of Edge

Posted in

Comments

Re: Zynga Shuts Down MySpace Mafia Wars

So, what was that Jeff Brown said a few weeks earlier about how these browser games were big business?

This isn't even cross-platform we're talking here, and it failed anyway. So... how was I supposed to take Zynga seriously, again?

Re: Zynga Shuts Down MySpace Mafia Wars

What are you talking about?

They are only closing the MySpace Mafia Wars because MySpace doesn't have enough users to justify keeping it open.

So how am I supposed to take you seriously again?

E. Zachary Knight
Divine Knight Gaming

Re: Zynga Shuts Down MySpace Mafia Wars

"Zynga holds 7 of the top ten apps on Facebook with Mafia Wars ranking in at 6 with over 12 million monthly active users."

More evidence that mankind is doomed.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm