Zynga Shuts Down MySpace Mafia Wars

April 19, 2011 -

Zynga has shut down the MySpace version of its organized crime social strategy game, Mafia Wars. The company has also asked MySpace Mafia Wars users to go to Mafiawars.com. In a post on the game's official MySpace page, Zynga confirmed that Mafia Wars was discontinued on April 18 and that the game would continue - with new content - on mafiawars.com. Zynga seems to be done with MySpace at this point; last month Zynga discontinued another MySpace game, RPG Street Racing.

You can read the message on MySpace if you have an account. Several major social media developers have also pulled games from MySpace in recent weeks; Playdom shut down text-based RPGs Overdrive and Bloodlines, and RockYou abandoned the site entirely, pulling Truth Box, RockYou Pets, Superhug! and Speed Racing from the service. MySpace is not in good shape, as users continue to shift over to Facebook and Newscorp. continues to cut staff. The writing is on the wall at this point.

Source: MySpace by way of Edge

Posted in

Comments

Re: Zynga Shuts Down MySpace Mafia Wars

So, what was that Jeff Brown said a few weeks earlier about how these browser games were big business?

This isn't even cross-platform we're talking here, and it failed anyway. So... how was I supposed to take Zynga seriously, again?

Re: Zynga Shuts Down MySpace Mafia Wars

What are you talking about?

They are only closing the MySpace Mafia Wars because MySpace doesn't have enough users to justify keeping it open.

So how am I supposed to take you seriously again?

E. Zachary Knight
Divine Knight Gaming

Re: Zynga Shuts Down MySpace Mafia Wars

"Zynga holds 7 of the top ten apps on Facebook with Mafia Wars ranking in at 6 with over 12 million monthly active users."

More evidence that mankind is doomed.

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm