PSP Go Officially Killed

April 20, 2011 -

Yesterday multiple outlets reported that the PSP Go was being discontinued. Today that rumor has been confirmed by Sony as the truth. Sony told Japanese website AV Watch that new PSP Go units would no longer be manufactured or shipped "in order to concentrate on the NGP." The remaining PSP Go stock will be sold until it's gone.

And what of the PSP-3000's fate? Sony told the web site that "it will continue to be sold," and that the company will keep focusing its attention on it from here on out.

The PSP Go went on sale in the fall of 2009, but was not well received by some. Last October, the system's price was slashed. Sony took a real gamble on eliminating UMD support in the new system. It has proven to be a gamble that they have lost.

Source: Kotaku

Posted in

Comments

Re: PSP Go Officially Killed

The PSP go failed the moment they mentioned that there was no umd drive. Hopefully Sony learned from this mistakes and not try something like this again.

Re: PSP Go Officially Killed

Indeed. It'd be like if Blu Ray drives refused DVDs. All it would od is piss off every single customer you have.

Re: PSP Go Officially Killed

WOuld be nice if they tried a bit more made a UMD adapter that was launched with the go that would work on the PSP2....

---

Re: PSP Go Officially Killed

They still would have been short on developers actually wanted to make games for it though. Part of their failure with the PSP in recent years has been a lack of confidence by publishers and developers that anything produced and sold on the PSP stands a chance at being profitable.

Poll