Sony Declines Demand for Visit to Congress

May 3, 2011 -

Congress wanted Sony to come to Washington D.C. to answer questions. Yesterday several members of Congress demanded answers - in person - from someone at Sony. Today the company in the midst of a security nightmare politely told lawmakers "no thank you."

"Sony declined to testify because their internal investigation is still ongoing," an official in Congresswoman Mary Bono Mack's office told Kotaku this morning.

Congresswoman Mack and Congressman G. K. Butterfield wrote a letter to Sony Computer Entertainment of America (addressed to Kazuo Hirai) on April 29, days after Sony detailed the security breach of the company’s PlayStation Network. Both are members of the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade. While Sony may have declined the "offer," Sony Computer Entertainment of America spokesman Patrick Seybold said that Sony is cooperating with the committee.

"Sony is cooperating with the request for answers to the Committee's questions, and in fact will be providing our responses in advance of the deadline," he wrote in an email to Kotaku. "We informed the committee that we could not appear as early as this Wednesday because of our ongoing intensive investigation and management of this criminal cyberattack."

Sony had better hope that its cooperation is enough to keep members of congress happy.

Source: Kotaku

Comments

Re: Sony Declines Demand for Visit to Congress

So Sony has betrayed it's customers trust, and caused huge fiscal safety uncertainty for millions of people.

Congress must want to give them a bailout.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Sony Declines Demand for Visit to Congress

They don't always reward disaster.  I recall during the Gulf Coast oil spill a congressman of Japanese descent telling a BP executive that back in the days of his forefathers they had the decency to kill themselves when they screwed up so royaly.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person's fear of their own freedom-

Re: Sony Declines Demand for Visit to Congress

The aforementioned congressman was also holding a ceremonial dagger used for such ritual suicides. I don't know if he gave it to anyone at BP.

Which begs the question: What's the difference between harakiri and seppuku?

I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm
Goth_SkunkRockstar is suing the BBC. http://ow.ly/NgzDm05/21/2015 - 8:00pm
Goth_SkunkWhy I don't take The Mary Sue seriously, and why you shouldn't either: http://ow.ly/Ngzkk05/21/2015 - 7:55pm