Club Nintendo Changes Privacy Policy

May 6, 2011 -

Nintendo's Club Nintendo has revised its privacy policy related to online access via its new 3DS hand-held. Nintendo is asking users via an email circulated today to accept a brand new privacy policy that lets it share personal member information with Nintendo Japan. Members must accept the new terms by May 31 or face losing their accounts. There is apparently no way to opt out of these new terms. From the web site:

"The amendment of the Club Nintendo privacy policy was necessary due to the launch of the new Nintendo 3DS system which offers a broad variety of network services. As you can link your Club Nintendo account to your Nintendo 3DS system, we adjusted the existing privacy policy to reflect and explain this.

Under the new Club Nintendo Privacy Policy we ask for your consent to share your data with our parent company Nintendo Co Ltd in Japan. The Nintendo 3DS system offers many new and exciting features and applications which we cannot provide to you without involving our parent company. As you can link your Club Nintendo account to your Nintendo 3DS system, the involvement of our parent company also affects Club Nintendo."

Nintendo insists that it will not share user information with any other party beyond Nintendo Japan and promises privacy:

"We will take all necessary steps to ensure that your privacy is protected."

Source: Edge

Posted in

Comments

Re: Club Nintendo Changes Privacy Policy

Well, considering that Microsoft has been hacked themselves at least a half-dozen times (That we know of.), they should be on alert anyway.

And I can't find anything on Nintendo getting hacked, so if someone knows of an incident, then feel free to correct me. But Nintendo knows what it's doing. They aren't the best in the industry for no good reason.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for examiner.com

Re: Club Nintendo Changes Privacy Policy

You would have thought Nintendo would have STRENGTHENED security after the PSN incident. Shouldn't  everybody be on alert? XBL, Steam, Apple, Nintendo? Everybody should be at Defcon 1 right now.

Re: Club Nintendo Changes Privacy Policy

Yeah, with what Sony's going through with the PSN, THIS is a great idea.

I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Re: Club Nintendo Changes Privacy Policy

it's woth noting that the Edge article cites the European Club Nintendo privacy policy. North American menbers have yet to recieve an email message

岩「if Phyllis Schlafly wants to undo Women's Rights, she should lead by example and get back in the kitchen」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm