UK's Chart-Track Takes Shot at Steam

May 9, 2011 -

In an interview with MCV, UK retail research firm Chart-Track takes a shot at Steam's recent statement that it would not cooperate with research firms in providing data on sales. Last month Steam’s Jason Holtman told MCV that the digital distribution platform considers the idea of tracking it sales data is "old" and that it "isn't super important for a company to know how well everyone else is doing."

Today Chart-Track's managing director John Pinder fired back at the PC download giant in a letter to MCV, saying that holding back data would be a "backwards step for the games industry."

"Is Jason Holtman really advocating a return to the ‘90s, when key retailers refused to pool their data, claiming it was better to supply sales direct to publishers?," asked Pinder in its letter to MCV.

"We know from years of experience with publishers, retailers and developers that the ability to benchmark every aspect of their business, to monitor competitor titles, to track market developments and to identify new trends are all key requirements.

Retreat from mutual co-operation back to isolationism would be a truly retrograde step – I urge Jason to join us in the 21st Century."

Source: MCV

Comments

Re: UK's Chart-Track Takes Shot at Steam

Hrm.  So is anyone familiar with the value of this type of data collection and marketing?

My old company did not utilize it at all... so my initial though here was that this is a marketing service trying to justify its own existence and being scared that publishers might not want what they offer.

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm
Goth_SkunkBut such a hangout *could* be a neat idea. It could be used, for example, for all us GPers to get together and watch the new FemFreq video, and then discuss amongst ourselves in real time what our thoughts are.08/31/2015 - 8:38pm