Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

May 10, 2011 -

Yesterday a Bloomberg report indicated that Sony expected the PlayStation Network to be "fully operational" by May 31. Sony's U.S. division quickly tried to clarify that statement, saying that it currently had no specific timeframe for when its services would be fixed. It's either a matter of miscommunication, backpedaling on Sony's part, or Bloomberg misunderstanding what Sony Japan spokesman Shigenori Yoshida said Sunday. Speaking to VentureBeat, U.S. Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesperson Patrick Seybold said the May 31 date is incorrect and that there is no new information about when the service will be back up.

As the VentureBeat report points out, if Sony waited until May 31 to get its services back online, it would be "catastrophic." Of course being down three weeks may prove to be just as "catastrophic" as waiting until the end of this month. No one knows fully how much money has been lost and how much damage has been to Sony's reputation in the long run..

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

I love the end of the article. Not "...", not ".", but "..". When in doubt, aim to please everyone. ;)

(This comment should be read tongue-in-the-cheek and to help the article's editors to find and fix the mistake for future references.)

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

Giving that Sony should be rolling services back out within days it could well be much sooner.

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

People have been saying streaming media, digital distribution and cloud computing and storage are the wave of the future. I've never been entirely comfortable with them, though. And with good reason, it seems.

I'm not going to give up my physical disks any time soon, and I'm DEFINITELY not going to use cloud storage if the server isn't under my complete, direct control and even then, only healy encrypted files.

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

Well, the end of May did seem a little optimistic.

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am
MattsworknameYou know andrew, those are actualy rock solid ideas, I woudl like those features a bunch ,especially with games that a cut scene heavly. looking at you kojima!07/03/2015 - 1:18am