Ballmer: Microsoft Won't Make Skype Windows Exclusive

May 11, 2011 -

Yesterday Microsoft announced that it had purchased Skype for $8.5 billion. The company announced plans to integrate the popular VoIP call provider into Xbox Live (including adding Kinect support), Office, and Windows Phone, but emphasized that it does not plan to make it a Windows only application. In other words, it will be available on all the platforms it is available on now.

"Products and services that Skype users know today will grow and be enhanced," Ballmer said at a San Francisco press conference to announce the deal. "We will continue to invest in Skype for non-Microsoft devices."

It's smart for Microsoft to emphasize that point, because Skype has a massive user base on platforms that Microsoft competes against such as iPhone, Android, PSP, and more.

Skype has 170 million active users, and is registering 600,000 new users each day, according to Ballmer.

"The number of users is accelerating, which is really exciting to me," he said.

"We'll move beyond emails and text to rich communications experiences in the future," Ballmer said. "Talking to friends and colleagues around the world will be as seamless as talking to them across kitchen table or the conference room."

"This is a big day for Microsoft and a big day for Skype," Ballmer added. "By bringing together the best of Microsoft and the best of Skype, we will empower people around the world with new technologies that should bring them closer together."

Source: ARN

Comments

Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Won't Make Skype Windows Exclusive

It is big news for a Skype user like me since I use it very often. but whether Microsoft will keep delivering great values for users, it is still a question, at least for me. Of course, I hope Microsoft will serve us better!

Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Won't Make Skype Windows Exclusive

It'd be a fool move of Microsoft to make it exclusive.

Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Won't Make Skype Windows Exclusive

Seriously.  They would have forked over a bunch of money for a name, and then destroyed all value in it by driving people to switch to something that's not exclusive.

Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Won't Make Skype Windows Exclusive

Glad to hear someone at the top saying this. I'd like to think this along with keeping Skype-to-Skype free (computer-to-computer, if nothing else) is the actual plan, but even if it's not, I think the regulatory boards will require Microsoft to keep Skype going cross-platform and without trying to gouge competitors in their future dealings if they let the buy proceed.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpvalet about parking info01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpyour glenn beck to her republican party. you can refut all you want, but its not going to matter until femfreq comes out and disputes these claims because you are not a member of fem freq. you are a second party. I dont ask the man standing next to the01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
Wonderkarpis free gifts01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
WonderkarpListen and Believe is one of the slogans Femfreq touts on twitter. and Non profits are in danger of losing their tax exempt status by merchandising. Its a big nono. I worked at the MDA for a while and they do NOT sell merchandise. anything they do have01/31/2015 - 6:38pm