Report: UK PS3 Users Trading in PS3’s for Cash or Xbox 360

According to an Edge report citing multiple sources inside various UK retail chains, consumers are growing tired of the PlayStation Network outage (now in its third week) and are trading their hardware for Xbox 360 systems. The various sources are saying that consumers are trading in PS3 consoles and games for cash or for replacement systems, and that PSN point card sales are on the decline.

"In the first week of downtime we did not really see any major change in sales or trades,” said an unnamed store manager at a major UK retailer. "However from the second week onwards we have seen an increase of over 200 per cent on PS3 consoles being traded in, split almost 50/50 between those trading for cash and those taking a 360 instead.

Another unnamed source working for a smaller retailer in the South West tells Edge that he has seen an increase in the number of PS3’s trade in the last couple of week, adding that most were used as credit towards Xbox 360 systems. He describes most of these consumers as being from the "hardcore online shooter crowd." This makes sense because without the ability to play online, these types of gamers might get a little stir crazy waiting for PSN to come back online.

Other retailers tell Edge that pre-orders for multi-platform games have shifted from PS3 to Xbox 360, mostly due to PSN being down.

While Edge is keen to point out all this anecdotal evidence that the PS3 is losing customer loyalty, they also point out that the retailers they spoke to say that these customers are just a small sample of the general game buying public.

We will have to wait and see what the long term impact of the PSN outage will be.

Source: Edge

DorthLous says:

Why do you assume your type of enjoyment, analysis of the situation or use of the services is the only one valid? While it is likely more than one person will regret their actions (like in many other situations, including buying a PS3 in the first place), some might still feel, if not happy, at least justified in their actions. Imagine the worst case scenario customer: Someone with a short leave or vacation that buys the console just before the downtime to play with friends that are oversea and eventually find out his information were stolen. As far as first impression goes, that’s pretty much a -100.

Thad says:

Ha, same ol’ crap from Grifter Grif.  You can’t produce one shred of evidence to back up your wacky conspiracy theories, so you handwave over to Google.

The funny thing is it would have been easy for you just to point at Microsoft’s massive, decades-long history of security issues in Windows and suggested that it has a piss-poor track record.  But that wasn’t good enough; you had to refer to specific examples of the 360 being hacked — and when somebody pointed out that those examples don’t actually exist, well hey, maybe if you sarcastically link to Google then somebody, somewhere will think you really know what you’re talking about and are just way too important to take the time to produce one single solitary citation.

DorthLous says:

Got any proof that Xbox live was compromised 6 times? You keep bringing it up, but not once have you linked an article. 6 times is a lot and maintenance do happen, so please provide the proofs of said 6 attacks.

Grif says:

The reason you don’t hear about all the Xbox Live hacks is because Microsoft keeps a lid on it. Sony may have been late on the info, but Microsoft keeps it all under wraps and lets the fanbase just assume it’s maintenance.

Again, Xbox live was taken down for 17 days two years ago, that’s an awfully long time to be "routine maintenance".

"Power means nothing without honor and pride." My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for

GTCv Deimos says:

You know, maybe this is just microsoft having an excellent damage control department, but I haven’t really heard of an instance of accounts actually getting hacked. There’s been TONS of accounts being compramised due to phishing scams, including one damning situation where someone obtained subscriber information by pretexting a microsoft rep…

But yeah, i can’t really think of any huge hacking instances that occured with XBL… at least none that was publisized.

Thad says:

"I doubt getting my account hacked would lead me to scrap my desktop for parts."

That’s a pretty broken analogy.  "Windows has had its security flaws over the years, but as a gamer I’m not going to switch to Linux" would be nearer the mark.

Grif says:

PC gamers aren’t immune from this kind of thing, either. There’s a bunch of PC gaming services that have been compromised in the past. Although I can’t think of any *Coughsteamcough* off the top of my head.

Although, admittedly, I doubt getting my account hacked would lead me to scrap my desktop for parts.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride." My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for

Thad says:

If by "I want it now" you mean "I waited patiently for weeks and the product I spent hundreds of [dollars/pounds] on still doesn’t do what it’s supposed to."

Thad says:

Yes, it’s absolutely ridiculous for people to stop using a product because it quits working for weeks at a time through no fault of their own.  What is this, some kind of free-market system where people lose business just because they fail their customers?

edmoss87 says:

Cool, so perhaps I can pick up a copy of a recent release like COD: Black Ops for a reasonable price now?

I’m definitely not exchanging my PS3 for a 360, it’s been working well for 3 and a half years, needing no more than a hard drive upgrade (which was cheap and easy), whereas all of my friends who own 360s have replaced them either by choice or necessity at least once.

Left4Dead says:

PC gamers are the real winners here.  We’re laughing at the rest of you.

– Left4Dead

Why are zombies always eating brains? I want to see zombies that eat toes for a living. Undead-related pun intended.

-- Left4Dead --

Lou says:

I have to point out that XBL accounts have been compromised way more times thatn Sony’s PSN. Not to mention that there have been countless tales of XBL account being hacked and let’s not forget about the Infamous Clan in 2007 who was boasting about hacking XBL accounts and I am not even counting the Halo Reach fiasco.

I have worked on IT security and I can guarantee that there is not such thing as a secured server or service. Companies get attacked on a daily basis with 90% of breaches never reported. That’s the sad truth about all this and here is something that people might not know about. There is a high possibility that the US Secret Service is part of the task force chasing the hackers since they investigate counterfeiting and credit card theft. And they are way more prepared for things like this than the FBI.

Grif says:

A) Are you honestly suggesting that Microsoft is any safer than Sony is? Sorry to burst your bubble, but Microsoft has been hacked at least 6 times since the Xbox’s release. Funny how nobody wants to remember the big one two years ago that brought down Xbox LIVE for 2 1/2 weeks. There’s no such thing as a perfect system, you put your information at risk whenever it’s up on the internet. Not saying that the companies are free of responsibility, but you always put your information up at your own risk, regardless of the protection.

B) Microsoft in fact did NOT "solve" the RROD problem. They simply took out the red LEDs around the power button. The new Xbox slim models do have a reduced defective rate, but not by much. It still carries a much higher rate than the PS3 or the Wii.

C) Project Cafe will be awesome. At the very least Nintendo seems to grasp the basic concept of backwards compatibility, so we can most likely see that as a feature.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride." My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for

Vake Xeacons says:

Well, here’s my question. Sony’s been hit three times.

What makes you think it won’t happen again?

Maybe it’s just that these guys lost faith in Sony. Maybe it’s not that they’re tired of waiting; they don’t want to lose their info again. Not criticizing real Sony fans here, but I don’t think this has anything to do with impatience. It’s lack of trust.

First off, let’s not start the console wars again. I think those are dumber than sports team battles. Each system has it’s ups and downs, and until PSN went down, the PS3 was awesome. As far as off-line goes, it still is.

Meanwhile, MS did solve the RROD problem. So using that as an excuse doesn’t work anymore. As for the Wii, it’s over. Two words: Project Cafe.

Lou says:

Going back to XBOX 360?? No thanks, I already tried that poison and got tired after getting my old console fixed three times sending it to the repair center an hour from here (Repair center is in McAllen, TX). Giving me a total of five weeks of complete downtime and unable to use a service I had to pay for. I am getting tired of waiting for Sony to bring back PSN and yes I get thoughts of going back to Microsoft but the cons heavily pass the pros.

SpiralGray says:

I agree that it’s a waste of money, and I’m a little surprised it’s happening in the UK. In the US I could see it, what with the, "I want it, I want it now, I don’t care what it costs, I’m entitled" attitude that seems to pervasive in this country.

kurifu says:

From my experience lots of gamers are not interested in replaying and building a library of games, so this probably isn’t an important factor for some.

Michael Chandra says:

That is assuming they rebuild their entire library. If you don’t play games anymore but keep them anyway, it doesn’t matter that much.

Cerabret100 says:

You know, if you don’t want to support sony anymore more that’s fine, that’s your choice and not really my place to criticize…but seriously? are these people so stupid that they’ll completely invalidate all games they have for the system, get maybe half of what they paid, and then have to completely rebuild their next gen library for any multi-platform games they got on the PS3?

The amount of money being wasted here is just ridiculous.

Neeneko says:

*nods* esp if this is mostly the, as they say, ‘hard core FPS crowd’, in which case they probably only care about the one game they are playing at that time.

Mr.Tastix says:

Whilst not something I would do if I could (I don’t own a PS3 nor see the logic in getting less money than what I spent) I can understand why people would be understandably frustrated enough to want to do this: They feel ripped off.

Will swapping to an Xbox 360 change this? For most customers yes, yes it will. The Red Ring of Death isn’t as common as some people want to think it is. No, I’m not some obsessed fanboy (I don’t even own a first-generation Xbox let alone an Xbox 360), I just refuse to be sucked into the overblown hyperbole delivered by the media that the Red Ring of Death is something that happens to the "majority" of Xbox 360 owners.

Aside from that, it’s replaceable. If you exerience the problem you can simply request the machine be replaced. Is it a pain in the ass? Sure it is! But at least you have a chance of playing games online.

Or you could go the smart option and get a PC. DRM got you down? Don’t worry, piracy fixes everything!

In all honesty, it seems to me that current owners of a PlayStation 3 are looking at these people like they’re "traitors" that have "betrayed" Sony and all other PS3 users when in reality, these people are upset consumers. Upset about the fact that they can’t get what has been promised to them.

Are they impatient? Possibly. But are they justified? In my opinion, yes, yes they are.

When a product does not work as promised what do you usually do? You take it back and ask for a refund or a replacement. That’s what these people are doing, but the "replacement" would be "replacing with an Xbox 360".

— Randi Tastix