SOE Services Down 'A Few More Days'

May 13, 2011 -

After several days of being offline MMO company Sony Online Entertainment says that users wanting to play games like EverQuest II, Free Realms, and DC Universe Online will have to wait a "few more days." The company took down its various MMO's after it realized that it had suffered a security breach at around the same time the PlayStation Network was hacked into - over three weeks ago.

In the latest update to the official SOE site, the company also detailed what it will do to make all this up to players:

Sony Online Entertainment has said it'll likely be "at least a few more days" before its online gaming services are restored following the recent security breach. In an update on its site, it also outlined the compensation PC and PS3 users will receive for the down time.

SOE said it is currently in the process of "an extensive upgrade" to its network to further protect users' information from future attacks, and that it's "committed to compensating" its loyal player base. All impacted players will receive 30 days of game time added to the end of the current billing cycle in addition to one day for each day the system is down.

Several SOE games will feature a "variety of in-game items and special events to welcome players back" once the games resume. From the site:

- DC Universe Online: Batman and Two-Face Inspired Masks and 30 Marks of Distinction

- Free Realms: Free daily items (7 to collect)

- Clone Wars Adventures: Count Dooku v2 Outfit

- EverQuest: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Rare Mob Spawns and Double Faction Gains

- EverQuest II and EverQuest II Extended: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Guild XP, Loot Bonanza, and City Festivals

- Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: A series of Double XP events

- Star Wars Galaxies: Bounty Hunter Statue, a miniature model of Boba Fett's ship, the Slave I

- Magic: The Gathering - Tactics: Four of each of these spells: "Ivory Mask", "Duress" and "Angelheart Vial", plus 500 Station Cash

- PoxNora: Limited edition Carrionling, Welcome Back 5K Gold Award Tournaments and two Draft Tournaments, plus 500 Station Cash

SOE plans to give lifetime subscribers in-game currency (20,000 coins for Free Realms, 7,500 Galactic Credits for Clone Wars Adventures and 10 Marks of Distinction for DC Universe Online). Station Access subscribers will receive 500 Station Cash, in addition to the subscription time and previously mentioned items.

SOE customers will also get access to identity theft protection just like PSN users:

"Additionally, we announced today that SOE will provide its U.S.-based Station Account holders with complimentary enrollment in an identity theft protection program through Debix, one of the industry's most reputable identity protection firms. For Station Account holders who live outside the U.S., SOE will be offering similar programs, if and as available, and will provide details as they're confirmed for each country or territory."

Source: C&VG

Comments

Re: SOE Services Down 'A Few More Days'

SWG players are getting shafted it seems..

everyone else gets really good loot/XP, and SWG just gets... a couple of chinky house items?

Re: SOE Services Down 'A Few More Days'

Hey, at least SWG gets mentioned. Planetside still has lots of players, and I haven't seen them so much as acknowledge its existence!

Makes me wonder if PS players will even get their time reimbursed.

Poll