Square Enix Confirms Security Breach at Eidos Montreal Web Site

May 13, 2011 -

Sony isn't the only company worrying about lost data, personal privacy and the level of security on its web sites. Today Square Enix revealed that the Eidos Montreal website has been compromised on Wednesday and that up to 25,000 email addresses and 350 resumes may have been compromised. From Square Enix:

“Square Enix can confirm a group of hackers gained access to parts of our Eidosmontreal.com website as well as two of our product sites. We immediately took the sites offline to assess how this had happened and what had been accessed, then took further measures to increase the security of these and all of our websites, before allowing the sites to go live again,” Square Enix said in a statement sent to VG247.

Square Enix said that no credit card data had been stolen because the site did not have that kind of data on its servers. More from the statement:

"Eidosmontreal.com does not hold any credit card information or code data, however there are resumes which are submitted to the website by people interested in jobs at the studio. Regrettably up to 350 of these resumes may have been accessed, and we are in the process of writing to each of the individuals who may have been affected to offer our sincere apologies for this situation," the statement continues.

Square Enix went on to say that, though email addresses may have been stolen, no other personal information was connected to them because they were collected during user registration to the site.

"We take the security of our websites extremely seriously and employ strict measures, which we test regularly, to guard against this sort of incident."

Square Enix did not say, other than speaking to the media, how it is informing those users that might have been affected by the security breach. More on this story as it develops.

Source: VG247

Comments

Re: Square Enix Confirms Security Breach at Eidos Montreal ...

I find it amusing that they emphasized the fact that their servers don't hold credit card information.

Re: Square Enix Confirms Security Breach at Eidos Montreal ...

"The latter statement seems inappropriate and incorrect. If the company was so keen on security measures, this sort of thing probably wouldn't have happened."

That's like saying "If the government was so keen on cutting overspending, we wouldn't have a national debt".

It's been said over and over again that there's no such thing as a perfect system, and if there was, I'm sure that just about every company out there would be using it.

All you can do is your best; the reality is that sometimes the best isn't good enough.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for examiner.com