FCC Commissioner Turned Lobbyist Defends Comcast-NBC Job

May 16, 2011 -

Caught with her proverbial pants down, former FCC Commissioner and soon to-be Washington D.C. lobbyist for Comcast-NBC Meredith Attwell Baker issued a statement regarding her new job, the approval of the Comcast-NBC merger and the appearance of impropriety taking a job at the company has caused her.

The Republican commissioner issued the statement on Friday after several publications including the New York Times called into question her role in the merger and taking a job with the same company a mere four months after her vote. From her statement (found in full here - PDF):

"Not once in my entire tenure as a Commissioner had anyone at Comcast or NBCUniversal approached me about potential employment. When this opportunity became available in mid-April, I made a personal decision that I wanted to give it serious consideration.

Therefore, I immediately sought counsel from the General Counsel of the FCC, and recused myself on April 18th from any matters involving Comcast or NBCUniversal. I have not only complied with the legal and ethical laws, but I also have gone further. I have not participated or voted any item, not just those related to Comcast or NBCUniversal, since entering discussions about an offer of potential employment. Because of this, I plan to depart the Commission as soon as I am able to ensure an orderly wind-down of my office. I will of course comply with all government ethics and Obama pledge restrictions going forward."

No doubt her statement does little to convince those that believe she used her position to help a friend, who in turn helped her with a fancy new job..

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: FCC Commissioner Turned Lobbyist Defends Comcast-NBC Job

Lady, just because you didn't technically break any laws (or at least you claim that), it doesn't make it ethical.

Lots of politicians end up being lobbyists for companies they helped while they were in office.

There may be loopholes that preclude this from being illegal in most cases, but that doesn't make it less slimy.

Re: FCC Commissioner Turned Lobbyist Defends Comcast-NBC Job

While I would hope what this lady says is actually true, I have met a few politicians in my life to know that the potential for lying and covering up is VERY HIGH among their ranks.

If you are really that interested in securing your innocense Mrs. Baker then you need to offer some proof.

Re: FCC Commissioner Turned Lobbyist Defends Comcast-NBC Job

Or she should leave politics.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm