New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

May 19, 2011 -

Microsoft has responded to reports that a new dashboard update was causing some older Xbox 360 systems to have a "disc-read error." The company said that the error was actually being caused by disc-reading algorithms, and not defects in Xbox 360 hardware.

The error “is tied to a change in the disc-reading algorithms in a recent software update,” a company spokesperson tells Develop. “It is not specific to older or newer versions of Xbox 360.”

The new firmware offers new anti-piracy measures and 1GB more space for disc-based content. Microsoft says that a "small number” of machines are not compatible with this firmware. In those cases, Microsoft is replacing those consoles with new ones.

Affected users will receive a new Xbox 360S and 12 months of Xbox Live Gold for free, the company said.

Meanwhile, Gamasutra reports that this new firmware is being released today via Xbox Live. Besides the new anti-piracy technology (which some claim can detect when users load a pirated disc into their system when connected to Xbox Live) and the new disc-format support, the update adds the ability to use PayPal for digital transactions.

Sources: Develop, Gamasutra

Comments

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

Hmm.  I don't know exactly the model of my XBox, but it was new just 18 months ago, and it's not a slim.  Actually, it's one of those special deals that came with Modern Warfare 2 and has a different case (Xmas gift).  I hope I'm not affected.  A new system would be nice, but I don't want to go through the hassle.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

I hope mine still works, those new 360s are ugly as sin.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

The disc-read errors in question are from a previous update, not this one.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

That might explain the disc problem I had earlier today with Fable III.  I have an XBox 360S.  First time I've had the problem.  It complained the disc was dirty, but it was fresh out of a brand new case (I received it as a free bonus to signing up for Gold membership).

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Poll

What is #GamerGate about?:

Andrew EisenMarvel has replaced Manara on the variant covers for Thor #2 and Avengers and X-Men: AXIS #1. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Marvel is learning the right lesson here.09/23/2014 - 6:26pm
quiknkoldI'm 7 years old, and my cousin(Also 7, maybe 8 at this time) tells me has Battletoads. its Summer Vacation. We play and play and play until finally, We won coop. Those were the days.09/23/2014 - 5:29pm
quiknkoldlets take a moment to share some gaming memories, shall we?09/23/2014 - 5:28pm
MechaTama31I buy stuff off the eshop because it gives me the convenience of a flashcart without the guilt.09/23/2014 - 5:03pm
Montewell thanks for the info Eisen; try that the next time i need something off the eshop09/23/2014 - 3:54pm
james_fudgere: MP, i've sent tech support a note - thank you :)09/23/2014 - 3:14pm
IanCNah that wasnt directed at you Andrew :)09/23/2014 - 3:00pm
Papa MidnightRe: SIEGE 2014 Keynote: oh dear...09/23/2014 - 2:44pm
MaskedPixelanteDear GP, something called "doubleverify" is causing some nasty browser issues on my end. Probably one of your ads.09/23/2014 - 2:36pm
Andrew EisenOh hell no. No, it took Nintendo a dog's age just to get to the point its competitors have been at for a while! (And it's still not there yet, in a lot of respects.)09/23/2014 - 2:26pm
IanCSame as PSN handles it, fi you are trying to say only nintendo do that.09/23/2014 - 2:23pm
Andrew EisenYou have to try to purchase something first. Pick a game, hit purchase and if your wallet doesn't have enough to cover it, you'll be given an option to "add exact funds" or something like that.09/23/2014 - 2:05pm
MonteI have seen no option for that on my 3DS; anytime i want to add funds it only gives me the option to add in denominations of $10, 20, 50 or 10009/23/2014 - 2:03pm
IanCWhat Andrew Wilson said. PSN is the same when you make a purchase over a certain price (£5 in the UK)09/23/2014 - 2:02pm
Andrew EisenNeither eShop charges sales tax either. At least in California.09/23/2014 - 2:00pm
Andrew EisenBoth Wii U and 3DS eShops allow you to add funds in the exact amount of whatever's in your shopping cart. If your game is $39.99, you can add exactly $39.99.09/23/2014 - 1:57pm
Infophile@Matthew Wilson: As I understand it, any regulations to force tax online would also set up an easy database for these stores to use, minimizing overhead.09/23/2014 - 1:30pm
MonteReally, the eshop just does next to nothing to make buying digitally advantagous for the customer. Its nice to have the game on my 3DS, but i can get more for less buying a physical copy at retail. And that's not even counting buying used09/23/2014 - 1:18pm
MonteIanC, The Eshop wallet system only lets you add funds in set denominations and the tax makes sure you no longer have round numbers so you ALWAYS loose money. A $39.99 game for instance requires you to add $50 instead of just $4009/23/2014 - 1:13pm
Matthew Wilsonbut thats just it those sites, even the small ones, sell all over the country.09/23/2014 - 11:12am