UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

May 20, 2011 -

An Early Day Motion tabled by UK Labour MP Keith Vaz, an outspoken critic of video games, has managed to garner 11 signatures. The Early Day Motion calls for better control of video game sales to customers under the age of 18, and encourages parents to limit the screen time of children. Eight signatures are from Labour MPs, with one from the Liberal Democrats, one from the Conservatives and another from the DUP. The petition was tabled last Friday, May 13th.

Develop points out that these signatories have basically agreed that video games are addictive, and that game playing should be combined with a variety of extra-curricular activities (preferably outdoors) to ensure that "children flourish." The motion also highlights the "Hungarian EU Presidency priority of protecting minors from harmful audiovisual media content in media legislation.”

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

I work in the games retail industry in the UK and the problem is the parents. I always mention that games aren't suitable, we all do, but they always say it is okay or because their friends have it. I once went a week going into detail of how bad some games were and my boss told me to stop going to far.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

"but they always say it is okay or because their friends have it..."

I´ve never understanded that logic, if you can name it like that. I really don´t care if a 8 years old is playing Mortal Kombat, but parents at least should think on a better reason than the one listed above.

And Keith Vaz is still idiot.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

I'd take a "I'm sure my child knows from right and wrong" before I take that answer.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

You told them what your supposed to. If they wanna continue to do it, you can't stop them. Not without being like JT or this a$$hole.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

>better control of video game sales to customers under the age of 18

It's already illegal, what more does he want? "Double Illegal" isn't a thing, Vaz!

/b

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

My guess is an outright ban.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

On what? Games rated 18?

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

Why is there a picture of Ed Vaizey accompanying an article about Keith Vaz?

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

It is kinda misleading, my guess is that the picture is Ed Vaizey's reaction to the motion: "Saaay Whaaaat!?" (spoken in public school dialect)

Plus, it's a bit more photogenic than the picture of Vaz from the Develop article, it makes him look a bit like a toe.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

Nop, now they switched it to Keith Vaz :D

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm