Amazon UK: Game Trade-Ins Popular With Consumers

May 23, 2011 -

Amazon.co.uk’s video games manager Liz Hosmer tells MCV that its new used game trade-in program is already doing pretty well and that consumers have "reacted positively." In January some criticized the UK arm of the popular online retailer for planning to offer trade-ins: ShopTo's former marketing manager Phil Driver told MCV that consumers would be met with an intolerable experience if they traded their games online as opposed to traditional retail. But if Amazon.co.uk is to be believed, Driver is sadly mistaken.

“Trading in with Amazon.co.uk is quick and easy, providing customers with a great way to exchange their old games and save money on future purchases,” she told MCV. “We’ve had a very positive response from customers.”

In addition to winning the General Retailer MCV Award this year, Amazon launched a new Android App Store and a cloud-based MP3 player in the US. In the UK, it acquired online rental firm LoveFilm. If the company made a misstep this year, it had to do with developer agreements, which some criticized as being unfair to content creators for various reasons.

Source: MCV

Comments

Re: Amazon UK: Game Trade-Ins Popular With Consumers

Well considering that they haven't released any figures and have just said that there's been a "positive response" I'm doubtful.

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

prh99Rather than trying to spin it as some sort of artistic choice, they should just say they don't want to rework the engine to either decouple the mechanics or make them work at 60fps.10/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Matthew Wilsonubisoft is made to look worse now. wiiu smash is 1080p 60fps lol10/23/2014 - 5:02pm
MonteYou would think that, if GG were really about journalistic ethics, their streams would be more conerned with Shadows of mordor(a REAL controversy involing a major publisher) than with the FALSE jounralistic controversy around Quinn10/23/2014 - 4:49pm
Andrew EisenHope so.10/23/2014 - 4:45pm
Matthew Wilson@ae they may not be able to fix the capture card issue, but hopefuly they can fix the frame rate issue10/23/2014 - 4:31pm
james_fudgeso IDK10/23/2014 - 4:27pm
james_fudgeGuys I sat through a GG stream for two hours. All they talked about was ZQ. We said we were on GJP in the chat and they didn't care.10/23/2014 - 4:27pm
Andrew EisenHopefully I can find some more time.10/23/2014 - 4:26pm
Andrew EisenI'm pretty much out of time to troubleshoot this too. I won't be home until very late and the stream's Saturday.10/23/2014 - 4:19pm
Andrew EisenI guess not, although I did ask and they confirmed that they're not yet supporting my capture hardware.10/23/2014 - 4:18pm
Matthew Wilsonit wouldnt hurt to ask though10/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Andrew EisenThe problem doesn't seem to be OBS specifically, I can't get anything to work.10/23/2014 - 4:16pm
Matthew Wilsonobs has a support irc if you want help10/23/2014 - 4:15pm
Andrew EisenWhat gets me is this worked fine last year. Same PC, same capture hardware, same broadcaster.10/23/2014 - 3:58pm
Andrew EisenWish I knew where the problem was so I could fix it.10/23/2014 - 3:55pm
Andrew EisenMaybe the fact that TWC throttles my upload speed to 1 Mbps is why I've been having so much difficulty live streaming. Then again, the podcast works fine.10/23/2014 - 3:52pm
PHX Corp@Neo_DrKefka @quiknkold agreed, I think everyone needs to just STFU and play Video Games. If the behavior(between #GG and #SGG2014) continues, it's going to eventually affect the Videogame industry negatively(Lost Sales, etc.)10/23/2014 - 3:50pm
Neo_DrKefkaIn a #GamerGate Stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-BahVyFYQ they are too busy talking about Brianna's Wu appearance rather than her actions. Oh god our movement has become less and less about solutions and how can we can resolve these problems.10/23/2014 - 3:28pm
quiknkoldThese people are Arms Dealers selling weapons to both sides of this war, and I feel the only way anything will change is if everybody just stops. CTFO and play games.10/23/2014 - 3:28pm
quiknkoldI'm not specifically Targeting the Gamergate people on this. But There is one or two sick Freaks out there who get their jollys on this, and they are fueled by the war they are making worse.10/23/2014 - 3:27pm