The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) and the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced the 17 works of video game inspired art that will be exhibited at the 2011 Into the Pixel (ITP) event. Now in its eighth year, the ITP – a collaboration between the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) and the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) – is the only juried art exhibition that brings together experts from the traditional fine art world and the interactive entertainment industry to display and discuss the art of video games. The 2011 Into the Pixel collection will be unveiled and presented at the annual E3 Expo at the Los Angeles Convention Center from June 7-9, 2011, in the Concourse Foyer.
Into the Pixel 2011 Winners are listed below (by exhibit name, game it was inspired by and the artist responsible for the work):
- "Amorphous Drake," inspired by the game Legends of Norrath (Lucas Graciano from Sony Online Entertainment)
- "The Bridge," inspired by the game The Dream Machine (Erik Zaring & Anders Gustafsson from Cockroach Inc.)
- "The Cottage," inspired by the game Drawn 3 (Hamzah Kasom Osman from Big Fish Games)
- "Cronos Battle," inspired by the game God of War III (Tyler Breon from SCEA/Santa Monica Studio)
- "Dead Walking," inspired by the game Orcs Must Die! (Chris Moffitt, Brad Crow, Nathan Stefan, Bart Tiongson from Robot Entertainment)
- "The Dragon Play," inspired by the game Drawn: Dark Flight (Brian Thompson and Hamzah Kasom Osman from Big Fish Games)
- "Flemmeth," inspired by the game Dragon Age 2 (Matt Rhodes from BioWare)
- "Good Friends," inspired by the game Kinectimals (Matthew Halpin, Andrew Matthews, Matthew Preece, Radek Walachnia, John Laws from Frontier Developments Ltd)
- "Grim Exploits," inspired by the game Trenched (Colin Foran, Claire Hummel, Ryan Wilkerson from Microsoft Game Studio/Doublefine)
- "Incident at the Workshop," inspired by the game Alien Swarm (Ivan Simoncini from Valve Software)
- "Market Fire, Columbia (Shop Sweeper)," inspired by the game BioShock Infinite (Ben Lo from Irrational Games)
- "Normandy," inspired by the game Mass Effect 2 (Mikko Kinnunen from BioWare)
- "Oktonok Cay Cannery," inspired by the game Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (David Guertin from Insomniac Games)
- "Paper World," inspired by the game Paper World (Say Oh and Damian Kim Namco Bandai Games)
- "The Pelican Inn (Pub)," inspired by the game UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception (Andrew Kim from Naughty Dog, Inc.)
- "Stahl Arms," inspired by the game Killzone 3 (Jesse van Dijk from Guerrilla)
- "Swamp Skull," inspired by the game Mystery Case Files: 13th Skull (Jeff Haynie from Big Fish Games)
Into the Pixel 2011 Jurors include Glenn Phillips, Getty Research Institute, Senior Project Specialist & Consulting Curator, Department of Architecture and Contemporary Art; Nora Dolan - Independent Curator; Ryan Wilkerson, Microsoft Game Studios, Senior Art Director; Matt Hall, Timbuk2 Studios, Senior Partner Production Designer; and Brian Moore, Microsoft Game Studios, Art Director.
For more information on the 2011 Into The Pixel exhibit can be found at www.intothepixel.com.