17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

June 2, 2011 -

A 17-year old boy, identified only by the surname Zheng from the Anhui Province of eastern China reportedly sold one of his kidneys to finance the purchase of an iPad 2 tablet. Zheng scoured the internet looking for a way to make money and found a buyer who offered to pay him 22,000 yuan ($3000) for his organ.

"I wanted to buy an iPad 2 but could not afford it," Zheng said. "A broker contacted me on the Internet and said he could help me sell one kidney for 20,000 yuan."

The operation took place in late April without his parents' knowledge or consent. His mother became suspicious when Zheng came home with a new iPad 2 and an iPhone. When she questioned her son he finally told the truth about where he came up with the funds to buy the Apple hardware. She immediately contacted police. An investigation is underway but police say they have yet to locate the broker.

Source: TheNextWeb by way of Techie Buzz

Posted in

Comments

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

I think it is safe to say that dude got ripped off.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person's fear of their own freedom-

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

You could make a movie based on this: people selling their organs for electronic devices...

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

An Ipad for a kindney? Just that? That kid is stoopid beyond any limit.

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

I hope the kid realizes what and idiotic move this was when his devices become obsolete.

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

Oh I'm sure regret will come knocking should his remaining kidney ever decide to fail.

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

"His mother became suspicious when Zheng came home with a new iPad 2 and an iPhone."

Wow, really?  Only then did she become suspicious?  There wasn't anything noticeable post-op to clue her in?

Andrew Eisen

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

Obviously Teh Dumb runs in that family.

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

*sigh* Terrible. I hope he has no complications from the illegal and possibly unsanitary surgery.

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

This strange cult surrounding Apple products really needs to end.

Re: 17-Year-Old Sells Kidney for iPad 2

Misleading, unless you read the whole article:

"Like Apple, mobile phones and social networks offer an opportunity for us to express our basic human need to communicate."

----------

Living in Canada can be a very good thing, you know. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of an European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as in the US.

Living in Canada is awesome. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of a European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as the US.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm