Nintendo Adds 3DS eShop Next Week, Bans Flash

June 2, 2011 -

According to Develop, Nintendo has decided not to support Flash-based apps on its 3DS hand-held. Echoing Apple's ban of the platform on iOS devices, Nintendo has decided that it won't allow developers to use Flash for developing games or other applications. This is particularly important for those wanting to use Flash-based technologies in Nintendo's 3DS web browser.

On a related note, Nintendo of America announced this morning that it would release a "major system update" for the 3DS that adds the 3DS Internet browser and the Nintendo eShop, which contains a variety of new content, including Pokédex 3D, an application that lets fans see Pokémon characters in 3D. Nintendo is offering the NES game Excitebike re-mastered in 3D as a free download until July 7.

Upcoming Virtual Console content available in the Nintendo eShop includes Game Boy games Super Mario Land, Alleyway and Radar Mission. New content will be added to the Nintendo eShop on Thursdays.

The system update for the 3DS will be available in North America the evening of June 6, Pacific Time.

Comments

Re: Nintendo Adds 3DS eShop Next Week, Bans Flash

Ok, before people cry fowl....

Porting the flash virtual machine to an embedded enviroment without Adobe bending over backwards to help is very difficult and generally produces a pretty poor user experince, which the users have (in the past) blamed the embedded manufacturer for since 'it works fine on my desktop'.  From both an engineering and PR standpoint this type of move makes perfect sense.

Re: Nintendo Adds 3DS eShop Next Week, Bans Flash

Honestly, I was going to rage a bit about this, but after trying out the flash on the PS3's browser, I tend to agree.

I'd like for them to get flash on there but for them to do it right.

Re: Nintendo Adds 3DS eShop Next Week, Bans Flash

I am not sure it can ever truely be done 'right'.

Even with the engineering problems of porting the VM over solved, there is still the social problem.  Flash/Flex development is pretty far off embedded development.  The world of creating apps for the web and desktops is so differnt from the world of creating embedded apps.. getting developers to cross over.. change habbits/assumptions.. is harder then you might think.  This can be overcome on a developer by developer basis, but the cultural issue is not to be taken lightly.

Re: Nintendo Adds 3DS eShop Next Week, Bans Flash

Yeah, there's plenty that the 3DS is capable of, it doesn't need flash. I've been having a blast with it, and haven't had any trouble with it at all. The last thing I feel the need to do is get on Newgrounds with it. Besides, I have plenty of other things laying around that are flash-compatible. One more would just be too much of a distraction.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for examiner.com