Report: Wii U Ditches Friend Codes

June 9, 2011 -

One of the Wii's biggest problems was multiplayer and the way Nintendo handled connecting with friends to play anything even remotely online capable. I'm speaking of Nintendo’s terrible friend code system. Apparently it is on its way out, according to a VG247 report - citing an MTV Multiplayer interview with Ubisoft producer Adrian Blunt.

During a demo of Ghost Recon Online for Wii U, Blunt told MTV Multiplayer that the new console will finally have normal user accounts for online games, rather than having a code representing each console. Blunt says that the new system is a lot like gamertags on Xbox Live.

"Rather than using friend codes, which we’ve had in the past, we’re able to connect players in a much easier way, which allows us to have a community that’s playing together in the game," he said.

While we hope that Nintendo will have a network system in place so that all games can use one single user id to play online, no one is talking about it right now. That's our hope at least.

For now multiplayer on Wii U is a mystery.

Source: VG247

Comments

Re: Report: Wii U Ditches Friend Codes

I'll believe it when I see it.  They said the same thing when the Wii came out.  First it was going to be no friend codes.  Then it was going to be just one console friend code instead of one for each game.  And then it turned out to be pretty much the same damn thing as on the DS.

Re: Report: Wii U Ditches Friend Codes

It's essentially already done. The 3DS has one friend code, which it uses for all online-capable games.

You give yourself a nickname, which is pretty much your gamertag, and that's it. I'm sure the Wii U will run on the same, if not a similar, principle. Considering that there's already suggested connectivity between the 3DS and the Wii U. (Smash Bros. FTW)

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My videogame review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for examiner.com

Re: Report: Wii U Ditches Friend Codes

As much of a hardcore Nintendo fan as I am, I think I speak for just about everyone when I say this: Halle-freakin'-lujah!

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for examiner.com

Re: Report: Wii U Ditches Friend Codes

Can I get an "AMEN"?

Re: Report: Wii U Ditches Friend Codes

AMEN, and cue up Ode to Joy. The whole friend code system--if you could even call it a system--sucks.

Re: Report: Wii U Ditches Friend Codes

Indeed, I'm glad that the 3DS is more or less done with it.

james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am
james_fudgeodd why would they delete pro vita comments?10/21/2014 - 12:50am