Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

June 8, 2011 -

Speaking to Kotaku earlier today at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime revealed that the Wii U will not support GameCube games. One of the selling points of the Wii was that you could continue to play your library of GameCube titles on the system - and you could even do it with a GameCube controller.

Sadly you'll have to dust off that old cube or have that old Wii around to play your favorite GameCube games. Nintendo didn't say why it was ditching backwards compatibility with the new system, but this should be the first hint that the hardware is probably going to change dramatically.

We will have more on changes to the system as it comes to light.

Source: Kotaku

Posted in

Comments

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

And reason and sanity..... this smells of the saturn or dream cast or worse....

---

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

i figured they'd ditch support for it too but I'm dissappointed in nintendo.

Even though they have, at times, been champions of backward support, why do they constantly make me feel burned when i invest in their games, hardware and peripherals? Why not make my past investments a value-add for the new stuff?

So now I'll end up throwing away great gamecube games I've held onto because they are, well, great. Have I played Eternal Darkness in the last 12 months? No, but I would like to play it again sometime in the future. same with the Twin Snakes remake. If the new console made old GC and Wii games look better, now we're talking about adding value to my previous investments - I know ps2 games look slightly better, if not blurrier, on the ps3 and the same with old xbox on xbox360, but I'm talking about actual graphical or framerate or even anti-aliasing, etc improvements without making an offical remake and I'm talking about nintendo, not stingy sony and ms.

maybe they'll offer gamecube games in their new online store so I can buy the GC greats again? not ideal but at least an option. But as it is, nintendo is doing very little to make me think I'm going to retire my Wii when the WiiU comes out. If the new system isn't going to make me want to do that, then my interest in WiiU will remain pretty low (or my Wii breaks).

it seems like ninty is in big trouble. I hope I am just reading the tea leaves wrong but most of this comes across to me as the stuff of desperation. Since reactions to the WiiU were mixed-to-meh, I could see them changing their plans drastically before long because i have a feeling, they are frantically guessing what to do next. I mean, I literally want to give nintendo my money and they are making me hesitate, that's messed up.

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

I didn't think it would. No system has ever managed backward-compatibility for more than a single generation, either portable or home consoles.

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

PS3 has, labeit limited and unsustained. Although I see your point that it has never been one fully, most likely because the opportunity to port and re-release a system's back catalogue is more attractive that the technical challenge of making the next system fully backwards-compatible.

Thomas RiordanNo, certainly not. Anything to prevent that kinda crap.09/01/2014 - 8:18am
SleakerAlthough.. I don't think it hurts anyone if kids think the report is true :P09/01/2014 - 3:26am
Sleakerand just for future reference. National Reports is a fake news site, they decided to remove their disclaimers a while back apparently...09/01/2014 - 3:25am
Thomas RiordanDon't feel bad. I posted the same thing last night and deleted it once I realized it wasn't real.08/31/2014 - 11:13pm
E. Zachary KnightAh. The report actually read serious to me. Oh well. At least it didn't happen.08/31/2014 - 7:46pm
ConsterAlthough apparently someone who was in a swatting ring in Texas took a plea for up to 5 years in July.08/31/2014 - 7:14pm
ConsterProbably because it's a satire site.08/31/2014 - 7:13pm
E. Zachary KnightI agree that the kid should be punished, but the charge and sentence seem a bit overboard to me. http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/08/31/2014 - 6:56pm
Andrew EisenI get a "page doesn't exist."08/31/2014 - 11:50am
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/Nevelets/status/506076879309508608 What we're currently supposed to be offended by, or whatever.08/31/2014 - 10:10am
MechaTama31AE: Probably snarky commentary on this: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/08/29/principle-player-leland-yee-arms-trading-case-dies08/30/2014 - 8:43pm
Andrew EisenConster - Don't know. Got a link to whatever you're referring to?08/30/2014 - 7:04pm
ConsterWait, what's this about Leland Yee eliminating witnesses?08/30/2014 - 5:50pm
IanCBroke my EA boycott to pick up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Loving it. Still hate EA though. But i like Popcap. Gah.08/30/2014 - 6:01am
MaskedPixelantehttp://m.tickld.com/x/something-you-never-realized-about-guardians-of-the-galaxy Right in the feels.08/29/2014 - 6:56pm
AvalongodAgain I think we're conflating the issue of whether Sarkeesian's claims are beyond critique (no they're not) and whether its ever appropriate to use sexist language, let alone physical threats on a woman to intimidate her (no it isn't)08/29/2014 - 5:04pm
prh99Trolling her or trying to assail her integrity just draws more attention (Streisand effect?). Which is really not what the trolls want, so the only way to win (if there is a win to be had) is not to play/troll.08/29/2014 - 5:02pm
prh99Who cares, just don't watch the damn videos if you don't like her. Personally, I don't care as far as she is concerned as long there are interesting games to be played.08/29/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenZip - And yet, you can't cite a single, solitary example. (And no one said you hated anyone. Along those lines, no one claimed Sarkeesian was perfect either.)08/29/2014 - 3:51pm
Andrew EisenSaint's Row: Gat Out of Hell was just announced for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One making it the 150th game For Everything But Wii U! Congratulations Deep Silver!08/29/2014 - 3:49pm