Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

June 8, 2011 -

Speaking to Kotaku earlier today at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime revealed that the Wii U will not support GameCube games. One of the selling points of the Wii was that you could continue to play your library of GameCube titles on the system - and you could even do it with a GameCube controller.

Sadly you'll have to dust off that old cube or have that old Wii around to play your favorite GameCube games. Nintendo didn't say why it was ditching backwards compatibility with the new system, but this should be the first hint that the hardware is probably going to change dramatically.

We will have more on changes to the system as it comes to light.

Source: Kotaku

Posted in

Comments

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

And reason and sanity..... this smells of the saturn or dream cast or worse....

---

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

i figured they'd ditch support for it too but I'm dissappointed in nintendo.

Even though they have, at times, been champions of backward support, why do they constantly make me feel burned when i invest in their games, hardware and peripherals? Why not make my past investments a value-add for the new stuff?

So now I'll end up throwing away great gamecube games I've held onto because they are, well, great. Have I played Eternal Darkness in the last 12 months? No, but I would like to play it again sometime in the future. same with the Twin Snakes remake. If the new console made old GC and Wii games look better, now we're talking about adding value to my previous investments - I know ps2 games look slightly better, if not blurrier, on the ps3 and the same with old xbox on xbox360, but I'm talking about actual graphical or framerate or even anti-aliasing, etc improvements without making an offical remake and I'm talking about nintendo, not stingy sony and ms.

maybe they'll offer gamecube games in their new online store so I can buy the GC greats again? not ideal but at least an option. But as it is, nintendo is doing very little to make me think I'm going to retire my Wii when the WiiU comes out. If the new system isn't going to make me want to do that, then my interest in WiiU will remain pretty low (or my Wii breaks).

it seems like ninty is in big trouble. I hope I am just reading the tea leaves wrong but most of this comes across to me as the stuff of desperation. Since reactions to the WiiU were mixed-to-meh, I could see them changing their plans drastically before long because i have a feeling, they are frantically guessing what to do next. I mean, I literally want to give nintendo my money and they are making me hesitate, that's messed up.

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

I didn't think it would. No system has ever managed backward-compatibility for more than a single generation, either portable or home consoles.

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

PS3 has, labeit limited and unsustained. Although I see your point that it has never been one fully, most likely because the opportunity to port and re-release a system's back catalogue is more attractive that the technical challenge of making the next system fully backwards-compatible.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm