EFF Backs Datel in Microsoft DMCA Case

June 21, 2011 -

This week the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed a brief in support of videogame accessory company Datel, which accused Microsoft of using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to take down the competition in the Xbox 360 memory card market.

Microsoft filed a lawsuit in May alleging that Datel's SD-card-based memory cards violate the DMCA's provision against "technologies that can circumvent digital protections," adding that they could possibly be used to change gamer profiles and manually change Xbox Live Achievements. The EFF legal brief argues that the DMCA provision being used by Microsoft was intended to prevent piracy and copyright infringement, and not to block competitors who want to sell compatible products.

"Letting Xbox owners use a third-party memory card does not put Microsoft at risk of copyright infringement," EFF intellectual property director Corynne McSherry said in a statement. "Microsoft is misusing the law in order to sell more accessories and control customers' use of the Xbox. The DMCA is supposed to be a shield against piracy, not a weapon to smash competition and consumer choice."

The DMCA case came about after a federal court refused to dismiss an earlier antitrust suit Datel brought against Microsoft when the console maker updated the system's firmware to be incompatible with Datel memory cards. That case is still pending.

Microsoft is also suing Datel for patent infringement over a controller that it says is similar to its standard Xbox 360 controller design.

Microsoft regularly uses the DMCA to prevent Xbox 360 owners from modding their consoles with chips that enable the systems to run pirated and homebrew games. That action certainly makes more sense than the lawsuit against Datel.

Source: Gamasutra

Posted in

Comments

Re: EFF Backs Datel in Microsoft DMCA Case

"The DMCA is supposed to be a shield against piracy, not a weapon to smash competition and consumer choice."

Really?  And here I thought it was just a sack of bricks to drop on consumers.  Shows what I know...

Re: EFF Backs Datel in Microsoft DMCA Case

It's a multipurpose tool!

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: EFF Backs Datel in Microsoft DMCA Case

It's both a beating insturment and an anal probe!!!! :D

Re: EFF Backs Datel in Microsoft DMCA Case

I guess Microsoft forgets how they did the same thing with MSDOS that Datel is doing now with memory cards.

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: EFF Backs Datel in Microsoft DMCA Case

I wonder if the court is going to toss this out simply because of the change to allow USB sticks. There's no behavior to change and there's no ongoing damages.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm