Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

June 23, 2011 -

Apple has faces a major setback in its lawsuit against Amazon.com's App store; a federal court judge said this week that she will "probably rule against the company." Apple had argued that Amazon.com's use of the term "app Store" infringed on its trademark and would cause "brand confusion." A federal court judge sees things differently - or at the very least doesn’t believe Apple has a case.

US District Judge Phyllis Hamilton commented that she was "probably" going to deny Apple's motion for a preliminary injunction against Amazon in order to stop it from using the term "app store."

Judge Hamilton told Apple that she had not seen any "real evidence of actual confusion." Because of this, she said it was unlikely that the company would prevail.

"I’m troubled by the showing that you’ve made so far, but that’s where you’re likely not to prevail at this early juncture," Hamilton said during the hearing.

Apple laid its claim to the term "app store" in 2008 with the U.S. Patent Office. The claim was initially rejected, but finally received approval in 2010. Microsoft filed an objection with the agency, saying that the term was too generic. Later it asked the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board to deny Apple's trademark application.

While all this was taking place, Apple decided to sue Amazon for opening an "app store."

The company continues to send cease and desist letters to anyone who uses the term, but this lawsuit may throw cold water on Apple's litigious efforts.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

Yeah.

Re: Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

Huh, I never associated "app" with "app-ple". My brain always just says "app-lication".

Anyone else think this?

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

Thats part of why the judge is saying he is likely to rule against them. Well that and the fact that they had trouble getting the patent and microsofts efforts to have that thrown out because of how generic it is.

Re: Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

I actually assumed that Apple's 'App Store' stood for 'Application'.

Though Apple could (weakly) make the argument that "Application" is an OSX thing since on OSX they are labeled as 'Applications', while on Windows they are labled 'Programs' and under Unix systems they are 'Binaries'... at least if you think of it in terms of a newbie who only knows what their UI says and is not aware of computer jargon in general.

Re: Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

There is still an applications folder that's been around since at least Win 95 that has all of the microsoft supplied bonus software (like Notepad and Sound Recorder)

Re: Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

Are you sure you do not mean 'Accessories'?

Regardless, I know that they are applications on windows, you know they are applications on windows, but we are not the people they are talking about when the issue of brand confusion comes up.

Re: Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

To quote Wario from Mario Party 1: Do'h I missed!  Yeah, it's Accessories, but then again, when I first learned DOS, my aunt, followed by my school, told me that programs were applications.

Re: Judge Warns Apple: 'I Will Probably Rule Against You'

My mind has always thought App = Application ever since I touched my first computer.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am