Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

June 24, 2011 -

Valve Software's popular online team-based shooter Team Fortress 2 is going free to play - a first for a Valve Software title. Valve plans to support the title on virtual items.. like hats. All current owners of the PC game will automatically become premium account holders. Premium members get access to rare and cosmetic items through random item drops, the ability to store more items in your backpack, and more powerful trading and crafting abilities

The gameplay experience (beyond the extra baubles TF2 premium account holders get) will be the same for everyone. Gamers who purchase any item from Team Fortress 2's digital storefront (Mann Co. Store) will also be granted premium account privileges. Players spend real money to buy virtual items such as weapons for various character classes, and a wide variety of hats. Those who bought Team Fortress 2 will also receive a "Proof of Purchase hat" for any character.

You can learn more about the changes here.

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

Ninja'd it in the shoutbox.

----------

Living in Canada can be a very good thing, you know. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of an European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as in the US.

Living in Canada is awesome. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of a European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as the US.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

All of you newbies join the Legion of Ponies!

I look forward to teaching you about the magic of friendship while blowing you into comically bloody chunks.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

Awesome, I just got my new desktop that can actually play TF2.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

Seems Valve has been bitten by the micro-transaction bug.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

They had the cash shop for a while now, I'm just surprised it took them this long to be free to play.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

Well, they've had the cash shop in the game for ages now, so the only thing this changes is that you don't have to buy the game. But I guess you get a neat hat if you do.
---
I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

---

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

It's a smart move regardless. Get people downloading steam for one of the funnest online games out there, get them looking around at other content, and they're likely to spend some money.

Poll

EA has shuttered Maxis (The Sims, SimCity). Should it keep the Maxis name alive?:

Andrew EisenMechaTama - I was referring specifically to the link below my post. I should have been more clear. My bad.03/05/2015 - 2:42am
james_fudgefair point, let's say "excluding YouTube videos"03/05/2015 - 2:25am
MechaTama31The stuff after the ? is not *always* extraneous.03/04/2015 - 11:57pm
MechaTama31AE: But that would make your link https://www.youtube.com/watch , which wouldn't work so well... ;)03/04/2015 - 11:56pm
E. Zachary KnightFor those curious, that timeline came from Destructoid: http://www.destructoid.com/tomm-hulett-s-unified-mario-timeline-theory-288472.phtml03/04/2015 - 8:11pm
WymorenceJeez, who'd have thought Yoshi doing a good deed was the reason for everything in Mushroom Kingdom being so screwed up...?03/04/2015 - 7:49pm
prh99The most popular games on Steam for 2014 http://bit.ly/1zLE0r403/04/2015 - 7:47pm
Papa MidnightWow, EZK. Oh my goodness, that timeline is huge.03/04/2015 - 6:59pm
E. Zachary KnightIt's the Super Mario timeline. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/386496/smbTimeline_huge.png03/04/2015 - 6:49pm
prh99There are the various URL shortening services.03/04/2015 - 6:45pm
WymorenceIronic that they're releasing a game about cops and robbers in essence while they don the "extortionist" mask...03/04/2015 - 6:38pm
james_fudgeI'm not a miracle worker :)03/04/2015 - 6:09pm
Craig R.That link is still awful due to the fact that the entire article title is part of the URL :P03/04/2015 - 6:00pm
MonteI'm really waiting to see more publishers get serious backlash for those horrible DLC practices03/04/2015 - 5:48pm
MonteBattlefield with prioty servers for those that pay... sounds like EA wasn't a big supporter of Net Neautrality03/04/2015 - 5:47pm
PHX Corp@james_fudge thanks03/04/2015 - 5:28pm
james_fudgePHX Corp. I shortened your link for you03/04/2015 - 5:18pm
Andrew EisenAgain, folks, please oh pretty please remove all that extraneous crap from the ass end of any links you wish to share. Everything from the "?" and on can be removed.03/04/2015 - 4:31pm
PHX Corphttp://www.destructoid.com/prepare-to-pay-full-price-twice-to-unlock-all-of-battlefield-hardline-s-exclusive-features-288492.phtml Prepare to pay full price twice to unlock all of Battlefield Hardline's exclusive features03/04/2015 - 4:26pm
Andrew EisenNew Age of Ultron trailer but someone hit the Image Stabilizer button and the damn thing jumps around so much I refuse to watch it until it's fixed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUoeqvedMo03/04/2015 - 4:10pm