Sony: CEO Took 16 Percent Pay Cut Last Year

June 29, 2011 -

Sony CEO Howard Stringer took a 16 percent pay cut last year, the company announced at its shareholder meeting on Tuesday. Sony said that Stringer's salary and bonuses fell to right around 345 million yen, or roughly $4,268,807 (according to currency conversion site XE.com). Earlier in the week shareholders asked Stringer to resign from his post as CEO. Obviously Sony and Stringer are not entertaining that idea at all.

The shareholder anger is directly related to the security breach in April, Sony's handling of the situation, and the inevitable price tag, which the company estimates at $14 billion yen.

Stringer tried to console investors by saying that since the PlayStation Network came back online, around 90 percent of its subscribers have returned and he apologized for how the company dealt with the security breach.

Source: BBC

Comments

Re: Sony: CEO Took 16 Percent Pay Cut Last Year

They call everyone of their ideas "Million Dollar Ideas" it will either make or lose millions if it's the latter cost even more millions to fire the guy.

Re: Sony: CEO Took 16 Percent Pay Cut Last Year

Bottom line CEO's suck they stretch out what they can do for so little and then turn the company into shit for an example please see SEARS

Re: Sony: CEO Took 16 Percent Pay Cut Last Year

You did the currency conversion incorrectly. 36 million yen is about 447,550.76 USD according to that site. You can always get a ballpark guess by pretending yen are pennies, which would work out to 360,000.

Re: Sony: CEO Took 16 Percent Pay Cut Last Year

I think even if he took a 99% pay cut he would be okay.  I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for someone who lost more money in a year than I will make in a lifetime.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person's fear of their own freedom-

Re: Sony: CEO Took 16 Percent Pay Cut Last Year

Working the math backwards, his pay cut amounted to roughly $813,106. To put that in perspective, a person making $24k a year would require 33 years to earn that much money.

I'm with you, I can't really muster any sympathy for the guy.

WonderkarpDay 4 of my Amiibos. Still Unopened. Now pegged too a wall. I just love the packaging too much11/24/2014 - 8:12am
PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm