Capcom Responds to Complaints about RE: The Mercenaries ‘One Save’

Earlier this week Capcom responded to complaints about the "one save" scheme it implemented into its 3DS game, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, saying that it was not a way for the company to combat used game sales. On its official Unity blog the company said that it was in no way meant to lessen the game’s overall experience and that it was designed to be like an Arcade fighting game. From the page – here’s the official statement from Capcom:

"In Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, all mission progress is saved directly to the Nintendo 3DS cartridge, where it cannot be reset. The nature of the game invites high levels of replayability, encouraging fans to improve mission scores. The save mechanic ensures that both original and unlocked game content will be available to all users. Secondhand game sales were not a factor in this development decision, and we hope that all our consumers will be able to enjoy the entirety of the survival-action experiences that the game does offer."

While they claim that "secondhand game sales were not a factor in this development decision," it seems awfully coincidental that you can’t reset the game’s save , thereby relocking content another player may have unlocked. While the game may be played through more than once, any content unlocked the first time remains unlocked on subsequent play throughs.

The blog post goes on to pose and answer three questions, but the most relevant is the third answer:

Q. Does the inability to reset the save game data mean that those purchasing a secondhand version of the game will have content missing?

A. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D consists of 30 time-based missions, through which the player unlocks skill upgrades as they progress through the game. Anyone purchasing a copy of the game secondhand would have access to all the missions and skills that the original owner unlocked, in addition to the content that was available to the original user.

This certainly sounds like it’s meant to impact secondhand game buyers. You can decide for yourselves by reading the entire post on Capcom Unity.

gamegod25 says:

I totally agre that they are either lying or stupid…maybe both.

Either way can’t cannot fathom why you would lock out the ability to start over from scratch. It’s like if in WoW you only could make one character and once you got to lvl 85 you were stuck doing raids and dungeons because you couldn’t make a new character. Why would you purposefully do that?

Vake Xeacons says:

Precisely. If Capcom seriously thinks it’s more fun to play a game with all it’s goodies unlocked, then why make the game with unlockable content in the first place?

Capcom has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!

nighstalker160 says:

I think GamesRadar had a good summary of this which basically boiled down to.

Either Capcom is bullshitting or they’re stupid.

If this is on the level and they’re being 100% honest then they are completely missing the point that some gamers don’t want to just measure their progress by score but by unlocking content.

Capcom is saying that RE: Merceneries is an arcade-like experience and that you’re supposed to look at your progress via score and increasing high scores through subsequent playthroughs, not by story progress or unlockable content. That’s fine and all, I don’t have a problem with that. But to suggest that this has NO impact is just dumb.

Grif says:

Or, it could a total oversight. I honestly don’t think they did it on purpose. If they really wanted to stop second-hand sales, they could have come up with a much more clever way to do so. An online pass, perhaps?

Also, wouldn’t anyone who is concerned with starting fresh buy a new copy anyway? Why would you want to buy a pre-owned copy unless you’re willing to accept it as-is?

I can’t imagine justifying saving $5 on a pre-owned copy when I just ponied up $250 for my 3DS.

Regardless, I’m enjoying it, and the Revelations demo it comes with is pretty badass. I don’t think paranoia or conspiracy theories should keep anyone from enjoying good games.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride." My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for

Algus says:

I actually do believe them.  I don’t think secondhand game sales were a factor in implementing the save feature like this.  Some dumbass programmer probably thought it would be a really cool idea and didn’t even think about people that like trading their games in.

In other words, it wasn’t a malefic decision meant to spite the used game market.  It was just idiocy.

Mr. Stodern says:

Let me get this straight:

I buy a copy of RE: The Mercernaries, I play through it, I unlock everything, get bored, sell/give the game to my friend, and the only way for him to experience the game the exact way I did is to buy a brand new copy instead?

"Not targeting the second-hand market." Like fucking hell you aren’t.

As has been pointed out, even with arcade games, resetting is an option. Hell, you get an old enough machine, resets will happen when you least expect/want it. And besides that, RE: The Mercernaries doesn’t play on a coin-operated machine larger than most human beings, it plays on a device small enough to easily carry around. Different rules therefore apply. When people go to the arcade (or used to go to the arcade rather), they generally accept whatever special stuff has been unlocked by previous players on any given machine they use. That’s just the name of the game. You can’t take the damn thing home with you.

But a handheld console and the games played on it are for use just about anywhere. It becomes your property the day you hand over the money. You’re free to save and delete to your heart’s content. Different rules.

In this case, Capcom has effectively eliminated a great deal of incentive for anyone to play a used copy of RE: The Mercernaries. Not ALL incentive, of course, but reducing the player to being at the mercy of whatever progress was made by another on any given game is a powerful tactic for removing a considerable amount of a gamer’s desire to play a used copy of it.

There’s no way in hell Capcom doesn’t know this. No way. They’ve been at the game of making games for waaaaaaaaay too long not to know what they’re doing. I might buy it that they didn’t foresee such a thing if they were only a 2-3 year-old company. But most of us have been playing Capcom games since we started playing games PERIOD. I don’t how many devs have gone belly-up in that amount of time, but I imagine picture of Dante standing atop a thirty foot tall pile of said devs’ dead and forgotten gaming characters would be fairly accurate.

Either it was intentional, or they just don’t give a shit. Either way, they can count on me not buying a NEW copy of RE: The Mercernaries, let alone a used one. I don’t appreciate such underhanded tactics/attitudes.

Grif says:

You do realize that regurgitating Mega Man games like that is what made it successful in the first place, right? It’s the same thing that makes Mario, Donkey Kong, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Legend of Zelda, and Halo commercial successes. Give them all thinly-veiled derivitives of the exact same thing. And yes, it’s made them boatloads of money.

It’s the exact same principle as to why sequels do better in general than original IPs.

Also, Mega Man freaking rocks.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride." My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for