MumboJumbo Adds Additional Motions to PopCap Lawsuit

June 30, 2011 -

Casual game developer MumboJumbo has filed several new motions in its ongoing attempt to collect money from casual publisher PopCap Games for services rendered. MumboJumbo is laying the groundwork to make sure that - even if PopCap gets sold - it still has to pay what it owes to MumboJumbo. MumboJumbo has also requested the deposition of a high level PopCap executive in order to find out more about the possible sales.

"We're hearing all sorts of talk about a sale or IPO of PopCap – and that's great – but the company has a responsibility to pay its debts," says attorney Martin Rose of Rose Walker, the firm representing MumboJumbo. "We just want to do everything we can to make sure that what the jury and the court called for is carried out. Depending on the terms of the reported sale, there may be no assets left in PopCap to satisfy the full judgment, including attorney fees."

MumboJumbo won a lawsuit against PopCap in 2010, after proving in court that the publisher interfered with a major retail relationship. This lead to a drop in the value of MumboJumbo’s sale price. Prior to this, MumboJumbo had an exclusive agreement to publish PopCap’s Bejeweled and other titles. The overall verdict came to $7.3 million in MumboJumbo’s favor. That verdict is still in the appeals process.

Source: IndustryGamers