NBC’s Today Show Calls 40-Year-Old Gamers ‘Weird’

NBC’s Today Show featured a segment this morning called "The Other View: Getting A Guy’s Perspective On Love." Along with hosts Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb, TV personality Donny Deutsch was asked to address several questions about relationships from a man’s perspective. Deutsch is the host of the relationship show "The Big Idea" where he doles out advice to men and women on a variety of topics.

But the most important part of the segment, and relevant to our readership, is Deutsch’s answer to the question: "Is it normal for men to play games in their 40s?"

According to the male equivalent of Dear Abby, "When you’re 30, there should be something more on your mind than video games, that’s it," Deutsch said.

The hosts agreed, calling it "weird."

Of course if playing videogames is weird then there an awful lot of weirdoes in America. A recent NPD report said that the average gamer is male and 37 years old.

So I guess the real weirdoes’ are those people that don’t play video games. In the 1950’s Deutsch’s mom and dad probably would have called him a "square."

Watch the video and enjoy. MSNBC’s In-Game has an interesting analysis of the segment, if you are interested..

Thanks to @WindaBenedetti and our very own PHX Corp. for the tips.

Yammo says:

It becomes funnier when you reverse what they just said:

– "Woman above 30 who still watches TV & Movies are weird… I mean, they should really have different priorities by then." (Of course implying cooking, cleaning, etc…)

Cecil475 says:

I remember Donny Deutsch. The last time we heard from this douchbag, he was grilling some industry guy over a videogame bill. While claiming to be a champion of free speech, He didn’t believe videogames were speech. He really raked this guy over the coals. I can’t remember who this guy was. I am on a Kindle and unable lto look for it right now, otherwise I would post a link.

– W
    edit – Fixed grammar and misspellings. Sorry.
    Erin says:

Like what, Donny? Golfing? Watching sports on TV? Hunting? All things that men (and women) do well past their 40s without any social stigma.

GTCv Deimos says:

So I guess the real weirdoes’ are those people that don’t play video games.

Absolutely. There are two types of people in this world that I don’t trust: People who can’t empathise with animals, and people who don’t play video games.

BearDogg-X says:

Yes, I’m going to take my advice on how to live my life from two ladies who spend an hour in the morning getting drunk and gossiping about things that don’t matter. Or some retarded douchebag with a clear agenda against video games.

When Kathie Lee Gifford quits using sweatshops to make her shitty clothing line, then I might give more than a rat’s ass in what that idiot has to say.

I guess Kathie Lee and Donny Douchebag think getting divorced is more fun.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra. Hell will stay frozen over for quite a while since the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Kal says:

Eh, it’s not like anyone actually watches those two anyway. I’d like to think that most people just watch the first 20 minutes or so, (That is, the part that’s actually news) and go to work. So what does it matter if Hoda Kotb thinks we’re weird?

greevar says:

By the merit of this article, it must be someone’s job to watch this crap.

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Iris says:

Yeah, on the flip side of this, my husband was almost 30 when I met him, and I wouldn’t have been interested in him if he hadn’t been a gamer.

I imagine that concept would blow Deutsch’s mind 😛

Vake Xeacons says:

Especially when they attributed it to "locked in the basement." Okay, so "playing it with your kids" is okay, but otherwise, going near you console is an addiction.

Yeah, they might as well have said, "give up all entertainment, movies, games, etc, at the big 3-O."

airford says:

To be fair the 4th hour of the Today show is very much a joke few take seriously, but the sentiment is annoying in that video games are less important than movies or TV for adults.

Algus says:

Well I’m off to AtariAge to find out what those guys have to say about this lol.  Older gamers are some of the most informed people I know when it comes to electronics.  Probably because they’ve spent a good part of their lives learning about a hobby they love.

DorkmasterFlek says:

I think I speak for all gamers when I ask the question, who the hell is Donny Deutsch?  And do I pronounce his last name like "douche"?  Because that’s pretty funny (and appropriate) if I do.  Even if it’s not pronounced like that, I think I’ll go ahead and use it anyway.

Back on point, nobody under 50 gives a rats ass about what this random douche and Kathie Lee Gifford think.  Pretty soon, it will be nobody under 60.  When they’re rotting in the ground, adults and kids alike will still be rocking Mario like nobody’s business.  It just goes to show how completely out of touch with the mainstream public these high society types are.  I shudder at the type of person who gets relationship advice from these people.