Rumor: Xbox 360 Games Playable on Windows 8

July 13, 2011 -

As you probably already know, to play a popular Xbox 360 title on the PC you have to hope that the publisher has released a PC version of it and that it supports the use of the Xbox 360 controller. A rumor today - if true - could change all of that. According to an IndustryGamers report, Microsoft is rumored to be working on providing Xbox 360 support to Windows 8 users. The report adds that the system probably won't support cross-platform play between the platforms, and that Xbox Live for PC would probably still require a subscription fee.

On a related note, Engadget has uncovered some Windows 8 source code that references an "Xbox _360_System_Crash." While this proves nothing it probably wouldn't hurt Microsoft to offer that kind of support for Xbox 360 gamers. I know I'd be happy to play some of my favorite 360 games on my PC.

Right now, there's just not enough evidence to consider this any more than a rumor, but we'll keep our eyes opened for new information on this topic and reveal it to you when it becomes available.

Source: IndustryGamers

Posted in

Comments

Re: Rumor: Xbox 360 Games Playable on Windows 8

Giving that Microsoft designed the xbox 360 system they can easily designe an 100% compatible emulator in Windows 8.

Re: Rumor: Xbox 360 Games Playable on Windows 8

I would say that unless the disc contains a PC build in an unencrypted partition, then there is no way you could play a 360 game on a Windows computer. Emulation is unlikely given how many popular 360 games like to push the hardware and given that the Intel architecture has poor support for virtualization and emulation.

Papa MidnightMP, honestly, I'm struggling to make heads or tales of the events being outlined in that reddit thread. I've never heard of Siliconera before, either.10/20/2014 - 10:48pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/2jbn6u/former_siliconera_moderator_leaks_screenshots_of/ Siliconera mods accused of deleting user comments that were pro Vita.10/20/2014 - 9:23pm
quiknkoldhttp://www.diamondbackonline.com/opinion/article_3fbc52ec-57eb-11e4-ba91-0017a43b2370.html10/20/2014 - 9:16pm
Neo_DrKefkaId love to see people come 2gether whether your 4 or against gamergate to gather 2gether and support an anti bullying charity and I would love to see a pro and anti gamegate debate on a neutral platform that promotes discussion and solutions10/20/2014 - 8:33pm
Neo_DrKefkaWhen someone was seriously hurt by a violent altercation. They have a prospective that people who have not had this experience lack. Bullying is a serious issue10/20/2014 - 8:30pm
Papa MidnightStraw Man to the fullest, but it gets the point across.10/20/2014 - 8:26pm
Papa Midnighthttp://i.imgur.com/dw0YPon.png10/20/2014 - 8:25pm
quiknkoldby doing something, Charitable Donations is an example.10/20/2014 - 8:06pm
quiknkoldAndrew : I dont accept any worded apology unless I can look the person in the eye when they say it. For me, he'd either have to make a video so I could read his bodylanguage, or actually do something. actions speak louder than words.10/20/2014 - 8:04pm
quiknkoldwell if they are looking for social pollution, Twitter is a great breeding ground for it. Its a breeding ground for deviance.10/20/2014 - 8:03pm
Andrew Eisenquiknkold - He had three tweets worth of apology the following day.10/20/2014 - 8:00pm
quiknkoldyou know, people keep saying Biddle's comment was sarcasm, but the thing is, Sarcasm doesnt translate well in Tweets. I took his words as really hateful, and unless I see an honest apology, I'm not going to be happy with him.10/20/2014 - 7:38pm
Matthew WilsonI doubt it will change much.10/20/2014 - 7:21pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29689949 Google's current piracy fighting plan.10/20/2014 - 6:58pm
Andrew EisenYikes. http://boingboing.net/2014/10/20/vultures-circle-gamergate.html10/20/2014 - 6:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaDestructoid Editor in Chief stepping down after allegations surface about blacklisting will he be next? http://allmannerofnerdery.tumblr.com/post/100526443850/im-leaving-destructoid10/20/2014 - 6:05pm
james_fudgethere's some inside baseball stuff going on in this Andrew - likely some stuff we don't know10/20/2014 - 3:30pm
E. Zachary KnightGreat musical video about online trolling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nS-QeM2ne810/20/2014 - 2:46pm
Andrew EisenBut again, this whole thing is just too damn vague to form an opinion on.10/20/2014 - 2:40pm
Andrew EisenWithout the original communication, it's impossible to say if it could honestly be misconstrued as a friendly suggestion rather than an employer directive. However, it appears that subsequent emails should have cleared up any doubt.10/20/2014 - 2:40pm