NCsoft Europe will serve as the host of the inaugural Golden Chippies Awards on Wednesday July 20 at Brighton’s Regency fish restaurant. The "tongue-in-cheek" awards honor massively multiplayer gaming journalists in the UK. The event will also raise money for GamesAid. The awards are a precursor to the Develop Awards.
"MMO journalism is a labour of love for those involved. A niche but growing subset of traditional gaming media, these guys really are doing it through devotion to the genre. The Golden Chippies allow us to sing their praises over some classic seaside fare and raise some cash for a good cause in the process." said NCsoft EU PR Director, Cat Channon.
The award categories are pretty crazy, for the most part:
- GM Award for Appearing to Know More than the Developers
- Tank Award for Impenetrable Resolve and Integrity
- Emote Award for Most Eminently Cheery Journalist
- AFK Award for Hardest MMO Journalist to Track Down
- Twink Award for the Strongest Introduction to MMO Journalism
- MMO Journalist of the Year
After the awards are handed out, host Davina Sparkle will serve as the official bingo caller to help raise money for GamesAid. The awards are an unofficial precursor to the official Develop Awards party sponsored by NCsoft and hosted by Eurogamer and Gamesindustry.biz.
The Golden Chippies is an invite only event starting at 7pm local time for journalists.