Analyst Predicts 11 Million Sales for Battlefield 3 in First Year

July 23, 2011 -

Analyst firm Cowen & Company has raised first-year sales estimates for EA's Battlefield 3 from 8 million to 11 million, after noting vigorous pre-order numbers. The firm said that the game is already benefiting from an extensive marketing campaign (some estimate that EA is spending around $50 million to promote the game prior to launch) ahead of its October release on Xbox 360, Ps3, and PC; and it is seeing pre-orders for Battlefield 3 "comparable" to Call of Duty Black Ops' numbers from last year.

The firm also commented on Star Wars: The Old Republic and the market’s reaction to a planned beta test. Yesterday Electronic Arts began taking pre-orders for the game and announced a beta for sometime in September ahead of its expected holiday release. For some reason this caused shares in EA to take a small hit.

"We would have expected this to be greeted as good news, since a 2012 launch appears unlikely, but the mildly negative reaction by ERTS shares yesterday suggests investor expectations for the game are quite high," commented Cowen & Company.

They go on to predict that the game will launch in December, rather than October.

Source: GameIndustry.biz

Andrew EisenThat depends on how much longer before YOU start getting good!09/16/2014 - 12:31pm
MaskedPixelanteSo, I've been stuck in the opening section of Dark Souls for about two years now... how much longer before it starts getting good?09/16/2014 - 12:29pm
Michael ChandraI was wondering the same thing while reading it.09/16/2014 - 11:44am
james_fudgeSadly, no.09/16/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenThat's a satire site, like the Onion, right? Please? Please tell me that's a satire site?09/16/2014 - 11:10am
james_fudgehis readers are.09/16/2014 - 10:36am
IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am
james_fudgeme either.09/16/2014 - 8:54am
E. Zachary KnightI understand what Wikileaks twitter was getting at, but I have no clue what that article was getting at.09/16/2014 - 8:45am
Michael Chandra"You know how game journalists are a corrupt bunch that do shady dealings? Well so are the politicians at the NATO!" #clickbait09/16/2014 - 8:22am
james_fudgeit's simply a case of an org trying to latch onto a hashtag without knowing what it is about.09/16/2014 - 8:07am
E. Zachary KnightOk. I admit it. I have absolutely no clue what that article was trying to say. Can you explain it to me?09/16/2014 - 8:04am
Michael ChandraWhy am I not surprised seeing that coming from a man who allegedly didn't respect women's wishes regarding condom use?09/16/2014 - 8:01am