Take-Two Wants to Use Social Gaming to 'Build Bridges' to AAA Franchises

July 22, 2011 -

Is the Grand Theft Auto franchise heading to Facebook and other social networks? Probably at some point, along with Take-Two's other high profile franchises, but at this point the company is dipping its toes into the waters. Speaking to IndustryGamers, Take-Two COO Karl Slatoff says that the recent launch of Civilization World on Facebook is the beginning of a larger strategy that will ultimately see social and traditional game spaces converging ever so slightly.

"So to us it’s about building bridges - building bridges to engage and expand our audience base for our existing triple-A franchises," Slatoff said. "I think you’re going to see a little bit more out of that title in terms of converging the two worlds. I do think as the platforms get more sophisticated, there will be some convergence, but as of now, our strategy as it relates to social networks... I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we are platform agnostic and we are focused on compelling, engaging triple-A experiences. So [we believe in the experience] where you sort of sit forward and you’re playing for hours and you’re really engaged in it, and we’re going to develop for every platform - even if it’s an online platform - that can support that kind of experience. To date, social networks have not really been able to support that kind of experience. At least we haven’t seen that kind of iteration."

The publisher wants to use the social gaming space to open up its IP to a larger audience.

"So for us, it’s a very interesting space. It’s an ability for us to build an audience for our franchises potentially, and if we can push the edge of those platforms, which we’re known to do - I mean we’re constantly pushing - what can we do on the platform? What more can the platform do? How can we push it using our intellectual property? You’re going to see us doing that. And I think with Civilization World...it does take things to a new level. So to us it’s about building bridges - building bridges to engage and expand our audience base for our existing triple-A franchises. And if we can make a few bucks in the meantime, that’s fantastic," he said.

Source: IndustryGamers

Poll

Did Microsoft pay too much ($2.5 billion) for Minecraft developer Mojang?:

james_fudgeI'm a huge Dark Souls fan :)09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
james_fudgeThe first part of Dark Souls is pretty easy.09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
Neeneko@AE - it is still better then Return of Kings. I wonder if they know each other...09/16/2014 - 1:05pm
Neeneko@IanC - well, considering their entire goal is disseminating information, it kinda makes sense.09/16/2014 - 1:04pm
Andrew EisenThat depends on how much longer before YOU start getting good!09/16/2014 - 12:31pm
MaskedPixelanteSo, I've been stuck in the opening section of Dark Souls for about two years now... how much longer before it starts getting good?09/16/2014 - 12:29pm
Michael ChandraI was wondering the same thing while reading it.09/16/2014 - 11:44am
james_fudgeSadly, no.09/16/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenThat's a satire site, like the Onion, right? Please? Please tell me that's a satire site?09/16/2014 - 11:10am
james_fudgehis readers are.09/16/2014 - 10:36am
IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am
james_fudgeme either.09/16/2014 - 8:54am
E. Zachary KnightI understand what Wikileaks twitter was getting at, but I have no clue what that article was getting at.09/16/2014 - 8:45am