Infinity Ward 'Welcomes Negative Feedback'

July 29, 2011 -

The very public face of Infinity Ward says that his company does not take offense when people that (seem to) hate Call of Duty criticize the game. Instead, the man in the public trenches for the wholly-owned Activision studio takes those complaints and finds useful feedback to help his company build a better game.

"We may have the number one selling game," Creative strategist Robert Bowling told Kotaku. "We may have, at times, the number one most played game. So it's very easy to sit back and say. 'We've done our jobs perfectly. We have the best game ever created. Look at the numbers."

"But then you can get online and have people kick dirt in your face constantly every day about anything that they may not like about the game. It allows you to have a gut check and a perspective that this is where we still need to go. This is work that we still need to do."

Bowling also said that the decision to join Twitter and talk to fans (and sometimes enemies) was the best decision he ever made from a development standpoint.

"It allows you to not rest on acclaim alone, whether critical or commercial, and makes you realise that there are still audiences out there that want to enjoy your games that may not even play shooters, that may not be into the type of game you make. You can look at that and find ways to introduce them into the experience."

Source: Kotaku by way of C&VG

Comments

Re: Infinity Ward 'Welcomes Negative Feedback'

I surely don't hate Infinity Ward. The remaining dev's that worked for West and Zampella I'm sure are all great guys. My distaste is reserved for Mr. Kotick and his continued destruction of IW and Activision as a whole.

Re: Infinity Ward 'Welcomes Negative Feedback'

Because there truly is no such thing as bad publicity.

Re: Infinity Ward 'Welcomes Negative Feedback'

At least he seems to understand that good sales =/= a good game.

I, personally, wouldn't have an issue with Call of Duty if it wasn't for the fact that each new sequel offers nothing truly innovative, nothing added is so groundbreaking or just plain exciting that it's worth paying for.

Hell, if it even had a decent storyline then I'd probably pay more heed to it but as it stands, it really doesn't. It's main appeal seems to be for it's online capability and quite frankly, you don't need to keep making sequels for that.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7932653/fcc-changed-definition-broadband-25mbps did not think the fcc would go through with it.01/29/2015 - 1:16pm
Andrew EisenI know, right? Don't you dare think the fact that I buy all your games makes this sort of behavior okay, TT Games!01/29/2015 - 12:57pm
IanCHow dare thy release games that do well both commercially and critically. How dare they. (refer to the Lego games)01/29/2015 - 12:55pm
Infophile@Wonderkarp: Tales of Innocence. Was in the final dungeon, when I accidentally left my 3DS on an airplane and couldn't get it back. Lost both the game and the system. Got a new system, but not the game (not fun enough to be worth replaying)01/29/2015 - 12:10pm
Andrew EisenOh, thank goodness. There will be at least two console LEGO games this year. For a moment I was worried there! (LEGO Jurassic World, LEGO Marvel's Avengers plus LEGO Ninjago for handheld.)01/29/2015 - 12:08pm
prh99Cminer: It's the only way to monetize Nintendo game videos. Otherwise Nintendo content IDs them and take all the AD revenue. Also it's only covers a small portion of their catalog.01/29/2015 - 12:06pm